D830 Nvidia - Low quality graphics & CPU performance

bubblesnout

Hey guys, I've managed to get OSX 10.6.8 up and running on my D830 w/ NVidia graphics, working a dream. I only have one gripe, and honestly it's quite a small one. The graphics don't appear to be running at the level that they are capable of, and this might just be a slight incompatibility but would love it if there was a way to fix it. It's very easy to see with the default OSX wallpaper, the whites are sort of 'outlined', and it looks as if it's using 16bit or 24bit color instead of 32bit color. Anything I can do to sort this out?

Also, I've noticed the CPU is set to "on-demand" performance, which is good in theory but I find that navigating around OSX it can be a bit clunky at times, whereas if I manually set it to the highest value then it runs perfectly. Upon restarting, this gets reset. Am I able to set this to always use the highest speed, even after a reboot?

Sorry if these are noobish questions, first time I've dabbled in this stuff!

Pretty sure I've answered my own questions here... I plugged in an external monitor and it looked great, and gave me the option to muck around with color profiles. When I allowed all color profiles to show up, selecting one of the less dramatic ones made the laptop screen look fine. Doesn't look as good as the external monitor but hey, it's a laptop display so I wouldn't expect it to.

Discovered that if I want the CPU to look after itself and run at full speed all the time I can just re-run EDP to remove that component. Nearly too easy!

I too faced similar situation with 10.6.8 graphics worked good for me but navigating was damn bad. even I tried options in EDP and still had the same issues. sometimes Voodoo or sometimes sleep enabler.

I did get everything working fine but then slowness was quite frequent so I had to re-install as I was not even able to click on the menu!!! 10.6 retail and then 10.6.7 now system is working fine but I see a lot of over heating especially running virtual box with 2 guest. while I run linux no issues but when I run windows in VM my CPU heats up and the system shuts down. it takes around 5 mins then only I can boot up. the Hardware doesn't allow me to use power button !!!

does anyone have solution for this.My fan runs all times if I slow the CPU speed then the system slows down no clicks or takes long time.

Processing of images in aperture (11000 images just adding to aperture library!!!) shuts my osx.

does anyone have solution for this or 10.6.8 should be used with some other settings.

please guide

• Administrators

can you test this smbios file, it's keyed as a MacBookPro3,1 that was the closest i could find that matches your machine specs. 8oo mhz bus t7xxx cpu nvs135m/nvs140m = GeForce 8400m gs/8500m gt MacPro3,1 has 8600m gt "Santa Rosa" chipset. please let me know the results. cheers

smbios.rar