usability question about Intel Q9550 vs E5440

grigroij9026

Hi!

Now i'm thinking about upgrading my cpu from a dual core (E7400) to a quad core (Q9550). 2 more core-s, 4 times more cache and the same (775) socket.

But it can cost more than 130 usd, what (maxbe the max amount of money what i can spend for it) is a bit much, but if the system runs without fail with it i'll spend it without questions. There are an other option. There is a Xeon cpu (E5440) which is equivalent with the Q9550, but for maybe the half of the price.

My question is about the choice and the experience: Anybody using, or have experience about one of this cpu in the hackintosh system?

I'm running 10.9.2 on my machine, and i most using it for 3D work and rendering.

Which one can be worth it or which one is working with the a mac?

Can i use the Xeon processor or i have to buy the original Q9550?

(I installed my system with myhack installer)

Thanks!

System:

(Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 - 2,8 Ghz 1066 Mhz)

Gigabyte GA-G41M Combo

ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB

8 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)

• Administrators

Xeon really are server/workstation CPUs, so your motherboard is unlikely to support it (BIOS). However, if your BIOS does support Core2Duo Quad, go for that. Look up on the Net for OS X installation on quad-core CPU; I known that many people reported issues booting the OS, but I did not spend much time on it and I don't own one...

Lookup the specs of your motherboard, they should list the supported families of CPUs. Your envisaged jump from your current dual-core E7400 2.8GHz FSB1066 to top of the range quad-core Q9550 2.83GHz FSB1333 is quite a significant upgrade in itself. For 3D rendering, I'm sure it would make quite a difference.

The E5440 uses the 771 server socket, not the 775. See http://ark.intel.com/compare/33082,33924

Sorry it's my fault. I know these two are haven't the same socket, but when i wrote the post i see a post on an other site about how to get working the xeon cpu on socket 775 after a little working on the cpu socket. (2 blocking parts need to remove) After that the system recognize it as a standard Q9550 cpu.

But thanks the comparison!

Xeon really are server/workstation CPUs, so your motherboard is unlikely to support it (BIOS). However, if your BIOS does support Core2Duo Quad, go for that. Look up on the Net for OS X installation on quad-core CPU; I known that many people reported issues booting the OS, but I did not spend much time on it and I don't own one...

Lookup the specs of your motherboard, they should list the supported families of CPUs. Your envisaged jump from your current dual-core E7400 2.8GHz FSB1066 to top of the range quad-core Q9550 2.83GHz FSB1333 is quite a significant upgrade in itself. For 3D rendering, I'm sure it would make quite a difference.

The motherboard doesn't support the xeon cpu (it supports the Q9550), (the information collected from this list) but i heard from rumors (which may be inaccurate) if i make some "correction" on the socket (removing the 2 blocking part) the system see it as an average Q9550.

Well i don't find any topics about problems with the quad core system on mac (but i think my "searching system" :) was to weak) and many people who are using quad cpus, they using the i(5/7) systems.  =/

I hope it could be works, because it can reduce the rendering time for the half time. 

• Administrators

i5/i7 CPUs aren't usually an issue because these are used in real Macs. Core2Quad however were never fitted to real Macs so there is always a margin for doubts. But I'm sure you'll be able to find something in the community in relation to the suitability of that Q9550 CPU. 

Well in this case, the osx installed on maybe the same system (motherboard: same north and south bridge as mine, the original Q9550 and also an ATI GPU). Now i think i'll buy the original Q9550 and assemble it, after the installation i'll post here about the experiences to help others.

But if somebody have any informations i'll thanks that.