Asus K53SV-SX146V (i5 2410M): which bootpack and EDP?

pckrullenbol

I bought a second-hand Asus K53SV-SX146V (i5 2410M) in the hope I can run 10.9.x on it. But I can't find the exact type on the compatibility list but I know EDP supports these types:

Asus K53SC (i3 2330M)

Asus K53SD (i3 2330M)

Asus K53SV (i7 2630QM)

I'm creating the usb bootmedia and must choose for a bootpack and later for an EDP.

Do I choose the K53SC bootpack although I have a K53SV?

Most close EDP seems the "Asus K53SV" but this is for an i7 and I have an i5, or can I just ignore this?

• Administrators

try Asus K53SV (i7 2630QM) if there is an ssdt.aml and it is for cpu power manegment of that i7 2630QM remove it. if the DSDT is modified for graphics like dual link / high resolution screen and yours does not have that then it might look weird at boot like split screen. in a case like that you can boot with the flay DSDT=null to bypass dsdt loading

I made a install stick with 10.9.0 with MyHack 3.3.1 and installed Mavericks. At the end of the first installation I choose for the wrong Extra and MyHack never ended the installation. Second time I choose for "generic Extra" and I got a bootable laptop: video was perfect (with hardware acceleration), but no keyboard, trackpad, no audio, wifi or ethernet. Found an ethernetcard.kext for the Realtek chip so finally I got internet!

Installed EDP and choose for Asus K53SV (i7 2630QM). Several things got working, keyboard, trackpad, but still no audio and video was very choppy. I tried several settings and ended up with an unbootable laptop ending on the dreaded "missing bluetooth controller transport".

After several attempts to repair this I decied to make a new start, made an install stick with latest MyHack and OS 10.9.3.

But now I get on booting from usb the message "memory allocation error, system halted".

Some say this is a problem of Chameleon too new, I tried to downgrade Chameleon by installing r2266 over the usb-stick, but that does nothing, still the error and showing r2377.

So what to do now?

Which MyHack (Chameleon) version to use?

I had had such high expectations after reading: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6154-asus-k53sv/

For hardware specs see this url, it's exactly the same except the processor i5 2410M.

• Administrators

myHack v3.3.1 includes Chameleon v2.2 r2266 by default. There's nothing you can do about that, but you can update it by using Chameleon Wizard from a Mac or a Hack; simply target your myHack USB stick when you're in the Install tab and update.

There's no specific pack for your machine, so you'll have to actually make it, building from what you've experienced and found out. Don't expect existing packs for other systems to necessarily work on your particular model. Start with the generic bootpack since that gave you good results at the beginning.

If you want help, once you have your basic system working after a myHack build, post us the output of Terminal command lspci -nn. This will show us the list of hardware (at PCI level) your machine has and can help us point you to such and such driver to handle your hardware.

I'm making progress, with the help of this wonderful site  (I will make another donation...) I managed to fix a lot of things, the first issue was solved by downgrading Chameleon.

I ordered a Dell DW1395 wi-fi card on eBay so wifi is not (yet) a problem.

The most important thing to solve is the battery, if I check the "show battery status in menu" it appears and immediately disappears. In the EDP for a similar Asus laptop I saw the "Battery Kext ReHabman", how to install this?

Also in the EDP was "Asus Notebooks Fn Keys driver EMlyDinEsH" and "Kext for Asus backlight".

That brings me to another question, can I select only these options in EDP and do a rebuild? Are these items than added to the existing installation, or will every not selected option be deleted from Extra?

These are the current kext's in my Extensions-folder:

AppleHDADisabler.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext

EAPDFix.kext

FakeSMC.kext

lspcidrv.kext

Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

RealtekRTL81xx.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

• Administrators

You need a battery manager to be able to get the battery status in the Finder's bar (voodooBattery or another).

When you do an EDP build, only selected options are installed but yes, stuff that you had before but no longer select will be deleted.

Step by step, making safety backups of the Extra-folder every time, I got everything working!

Even the Fn-keys for sound and brightness, very sleek!

I learned not to go higher then Chameleon r2290.

There is however a last tiny issue, when I start FaceTime, I get an up-side-down image!

Is there a way to turn the image 180 degrees?

• Administrators

Please post a copy of your /Extra so that we can add your model to EDP. You can also write a guide as many people have done in recent past.

Regarding FaceTime, it seems to be a well-known issue. Look it up on the web; seems camera settings related.

• Administrators

you might need to add the chameleon flag ForceFullMemInfo=Yes in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist under kernel flags section for the newer chameleon versions to work for your machine. you can try entering it manually at the boot prompt to test.