Can I put TWO wifi cards in a d430? (Broadcom and Intel)

gpetrowich

So the Dell D430 hackintosh needs the Broadcom wifi card, but my Linux and Windows partitions work better with the Intel wifi card. I see that there appear to be TWO wifi card slots in the D430.

Can I put in both cards and tell OSX to use the Broadcom and let the other two OS use the Intel card?

Don't know why I didn't see the extra slot before. What do they intend you to do with that slot if not two cards?

• Administrators

One slot is labelled WLAN, i.e. destined for wireless cards, the other one is labelled WWAN, i.e. destined for 3G cards. However, you can use either type of cards in either slots, so yes, you can have both cards at the same time. In your case, only the Broadcom card will work under OS X.

• Administrators

OS X will detect the Intel card at low/BIOS level but won't be able to load any driver (kext) for it, so no possibility to activate the card. The Broadcom card will be detected and added to the list of network interfaces in the Network preference panel.

KPs are not systematic and somehow depend on the combination of laptop model/Intel wireless card model/OS X version. If you're still at OS X installation phase, I'd say use only the Broadcom 1st and add the Intel card once OS X is up and running..

Thanks,

I'm already fully installed with 10.6.8, up and running. It's tripple boot (osx, win7, mint linux) and the linux partition works with the Broadcom card, but it's very slow. The OSX install works fine on the Broadcom card.

So I would just add the Intel card to the second slot, remove the Broadcom driver from the Linux side (change nothing on the OSX side) and hope it all goes well. If not I'll remove the card and go back to the original setup.