d430 10.6 and MyHack 3.3.1 Problems

gpetrowich

So I had a perfectly running tripple boot Hack on my Dell d430 with a 256 GB SSD (even had the speedstep working, thanks Herve).

And then I screwed it up due to my own boneheaded move trying to update the linux partition to mint 17.

So I went back to my installer usb stick which had older version of myhack (i think 2.2) and it worked but I always had difficulties getting the bootloader to work from the HD instead of the USB, so I though I'd update the whole stick and start over.

Bad idea it seems.

Now with Myhack 3.3.1 and SL 10.6 original DVD I can not get a working install.

Several failed attempts to build it using myhack as per the forum instructions, then I saw the post here...

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/147-dell-latitude-d430-thread/page-16

...that says Myhack and SL not good. So I built a new USB as described in that thread using the image of SL and the d430-sl.zip and chameleon.

This finally got a working install (missing the battery and sound for some reason) but I figured I can fix that.

But I can't get a bootloader onto the HD so it will boot without the USB Chameleon bootloader. It boots fine with the USB, but I've isntalled Chameleon with the myhack, I've installed it on it's own, I've installed it via the EDP. I get the boot0: error everytime I try without the USB loader.

I read that was supposed to be fixed in the newer versions of MyHack (and I never had this error before with the older MyHack anyway.

Does SL still work with MyHack 3.3.1?

Is there another way to do this?

Do I need to go back to MyHack 2.2 (which is no longer out there)

Any advice as always is greatly appreciated

• Administrators

i had a similar issue with an intel SSD i had to install chameleon with my hack a few times for chameleon to take in a row. i think my boot sector is a 4k sector drive. it's a known chameleon issue. has nothing to do with the install methods. as for the installer and snow leopard the fault is a bug in my hack. cloning (Restoring in Disk Utility) the apple retail installer to the usbpen first then installing my hack to the installer and your desired Extra folder should work fine.

• Administrators

Bear in mind that you really should avoid myHack v3.3.1 for a Snow Leopard installation and stick to v3.1.2. There's a bug in myHack v3.3.1 but what happens is that it can screw up the SL installation you run it from for an SL USB installer...

What you can do re: Chameleon bootloader is use the Chameleon Wizard and, in the install tab, install the latest version having selected the appropriate boot mode listed in the tab.

So I think I built the way Bronx is suggesting. Used OSX Disc Utility and make an image of the SL DVD onto the USB (MBR) stick, then I copied the Extra folder and it was able to install. So I think that avoided the myhack issue with the install, but I had to use my hack to "install" the extras on the HD so if version 3.3.1 won't do that correctly, then that could be the issue.

But I can not find a repository for older versions of myhack? Anybody?

If I could I'd go back to the 2.2 or 3.1.2 that would be great.

Bear in mind that you really should avoid myHack v3.3.1 for a Snow Leopard installation and stick to v3.1.2. There's a bug in myHack v3.3.1 but what happens is that is can screw up the SL installation you run it from for an SL USB installer...

What you can do re: Chameleon bootloader is use the Chameleon Wizard and, in the install tab, install the latest version having selected the appropriate boot mode listed in the tab.

So can you tell me what the "appropriate boot mode" would be?

• Administrators

I actually meant those Chameleon boot modes that are listed in the Wizard Install tab where you can opt for the boot file that suits disk with OS X + Windows or OS X only or multiple OS X partitions, etc.