Unable to restore Time Machine Backups "You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of mac"

LittleDuckAlex

Hi,

I recently had a few problems when 10.9.3 failed to install properly. I gave up trying to fix what I was left with and tried to restore from my myHack Installer USB drive. Although my backups were made on the same computer, it received the message "You can't restore this backup because it was created by a different model of Mac". Would I be right in thinking that this is a problem with my Installer? 

Because I didn't have a way of doing anything with my Installer, I installed 10.9 on my HDD, installed my kexts and decided to re-create my Installer. I gave it a test, made a new backup, and it didn't work. I then tried copying my smbios.plist over to the Installer and editing the org.chameleon.Boot.plist to use it. I ran myFix on the Installer and tried the restore again. No change.

What is causing me to get the message and how can I fix it so that I can restore from backups. I don't really want to be updating things until I know my backups can actually be restored.

Thanks

i would suspect smbios and serial number. is there any way to pull what you had setup from time machine. also i am not sure if nvram might have anything to do with it since it also store certain keys.

Do you mean take the Extra setup from my Time Machine backup? If so I've already done that. I've also given it a new serial key, but that didn't help. I don't really know anything about nvram. 

I had the exact same issue.  I was using my hack USB installer to restore via Time Machine to an earlier backup version from a separate internal hard drive.  I found out that the problem was I had forgotten to format the drive under GUID patition scheme.  It was MBR.  Time Machine backed up fine to the drive but because the drive format was different I guess TM figured it was for a different Mac.  After reinstalling the OS, I reformatted the drive to GUID backed up and retried TM and it worked fine.

Cheers,  Howard