Latitude E6400: Yosemite

krzysztofc10

Hello!  :-P 
I've just find out how to install OSX 10.10 on Dell Latitude E6400.

My laptop Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,8ghz 6mb cache
4Gb DDR2 800mhz
160GB HDD
Nvidia Quadro NVS 160m 256mb
Display 1440x900
Dell Wirelles 1510 card

What you will need:

-OSX (On Virtual Machine F.E)
-At least 8GB Pendrive
-Nvidia Quadro NVS 160m Graphics Card
-Yosemite DP1 (didn't try on DP2) NOT PUBLIC!

What's Working:
-Touchpad
-AppStore
-QE/CI (little lagy)
-Wifi ( on 1510, I don't know what with others )
-Bluetooth

-Sound

-Ethernet

-Sleep

Doesn't work:

-Edit-You tell me :)

Not tested:
-VGA
-Display Port

Preparing Installation:
Copy your Yosemite DP to /Aplications and RENAME IT to Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app
You will need this Installer to simple prepare Yosemite installation - USB.pkg (file at the end of the post).
Open USB.pkg; Click Next,Next,Next,Accept,Change you installation USB Flash Drive, and install :)
It will take about 15min.
Now you must download Extra boot usb Folder below.
Navigate to your USB with Yosemite and delete the Extra folder (if it Exist there) and move there Extra boot USB folder that you download.

IT'S IMPORTANT!
EDIT THIS BELOW IN SMBIOS.PLIST IN EXTRA FOLDER WITH YOUR LAPTOP PARAMETERS! You must copy it to Desktop to make any changes and Remove it from Extra, and if you finish edit your own, copy it back to Extra folder  :)

<key>SMexternalclock</key>
        <string>267</string>  - Procesor speed/Bus ratio f.e core speed 2800mhz/10.5 is around 266,(6)
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>2800</string> - CPU max speed
        <key>SMmemtype</key>
        <string>19</string> - Use this for DDR2
        <key>SMmemspeed</key>
        <string>800</string>        - memory speed in MHZ
        <key>SMcputype</key>
        <string>769</string> - Use this for Core 2 Duo

Maybe it's Cosmetic thing but My laptop with Yosemite after this works like a charm :3

Without this edit, I had 1,6 Ghz Procesor and GUI performance was very slow.

Use DiskUtility to fix disk permission.
Boot OSX installation from your USB and Install OSX with -f -v flags.
Format you Hard Drive to OSX journaled and make it GUID Partition.
Install OSX to you Hard Drive.
When It's done boot Your USB and select Hard Disc with -f -v flags.
When you will end with Welcome Screens download and install Chameleon 2.2 r2391.pkg to your Hard Drive by clicking next.
Navigate to root of your Hard Drive and if there will be Extra folder delete it and move Extra Folder from your USB to Hard drive. You can use kext utility to repair kext permission and restart system without any flags :)
You can update Your system to DP5 using PKG Delta updates not from APPSTORE!
You can find it here - https:// imzdl.com/osx.php

And at the end you can copy all of your /E/E kexts to /S/L/E and replace it :)

Have Fun!

Specialy thanks to Wern Apfel from InsanelyMac help a lot with Kexts, and Hervé for guide to get Yosemite to work :)

-EDIT- FIX EXTRA BOOT SUCCESFULL
-EDIT- ADD DellBluetoothHCI.kext TO EXTRA BOOTPACK

-EDIT- Changed Smbios.plist to MACBOOKPRO 5,2 Best for AGPM, ADDED Intel82567.kext - Ethernet working now :), Sound working too, you must select internal speakers in Preference Panel. Everything works perfect with OSX 10.10 DP 6, sleep too :) New Extra Pack. Copy dsdt.aml, smbios.plist and chameleonboot.plist to your Extra folder, use Kextutility to drag all kext from this E6400 folder to kextutility, Delete all kexts in /E/E you won't need it anymore 

Cheers!

Chameleon-2.2svn-r2391.pkg (1).zip

USB.zip

Extra.zip

Extra for boot USB.zip

• Like 2

HI guys! :) Everything work perfect but You will need other Mac to install Chameleon on Your Hard driver because CHAMELEON WON"T INSTALL WITH OSX INSTALATION, So from that forum You need to download Chameleon (only chameleon not to create OSX installation ;) ) and install it from any other MAC to your disk with installed Yosemity :) ALSO THE PARTITION TO INSTALLED YOSEMITY ON MUST BE GUID ;) IN MASTER BOOT RECORD WON'T Install :) Now I will figure out what's going on with touchpad ;) And then I will attach Extra Folder ;)

Cheers! :)

post-5519-0-80866200-1402519283_thumb.png

Here you have Extra folder with kext. No sound and touch pad for now :C Keyboard and trackpoint works :)

Cheers! :)

---ATTACHED--- 

1.Boot USB OS X Yosemite (Chameleon).zip

Instructions are here  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298753-boot-usb-os-x-yosemite-chameleon/

2.Chameleon r2377.pkg.zip

When the installation will end, you must install this chameleon from other MAC to your HARD DRIVE, and copy Extra Folder from this post to ROOT of your USB Driver :) Delete before Folder that create chameleon ;) 

Extra.zip

Boot USB OS X Yosemite (Chameleon).zip

Chameleon r2377.pkg.zip

Edited by krzysztofc10

Yes ! You're  right :) But Yesterday I've just want to install and boot OSX 10.10 :) Now I edit Smbios.plist And problem solved ;) 

I've Added this flags to Smbios.plist - field it with your own specs ;)

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>267</string>
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>2800</string>
        <key>SMmemtype</key>
        <string>19</string>
        <key>SMmemspeed</key>
        <string>800</string>
        <key>SMcputype</key>
        <string>769</string>

post-5519-0-98117200-1402561014_thumb.png

Edited by krzysztofc10

Is there better Nvidia NVS 160m kext ? because that from 10.9 make osx 10.10 reaction slow :C If anyone have better kext or know how to fix cpu osx specyfication reply ! :) 

Sorry for my bad English :) 

I hope that not only I want to make OSX 10.10 work like 10.8 on our Dell :)

• Administrators

10.10's default nVidia kexts should support the NVS 160M natively (and I'm pretty sure they do). Most likely, your laptop has unsuitable SMBIOS/FakeSMC/boot plist settings. Your /Extra is probably not optimized at all; for instance, I see you have the DisableTurboBoostBattery kext which only applies to Core "i" CPUs, not C2D.