Dell Precision M4600 Install Newbie

bigapple

Hello there!

Just wanted to make my first post and introduce myself. I've discovered the site recently and have so far really enjoyed getting familiar with the all great info here. I also find this community to be a lot more helpful than a few others I've experienced.

I thought it best to check in on the forum since I'm interested in trying to install OSX 10.9 (if possible) on my Dell Precision M4600 laptop. Below are the specs of my machine:

Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz, 2195 Mhz, 4 Cores

Bios A05

16 GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM

750 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Slot Load DVD+/-RW Drive

nVidia Quadro 1000M 2 GB

Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Intel Centrino Advanced -N + WiMAX 6250

Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module

1394 Firewire port

2 x USB 3.0 ports

HDMI port

eSata port

Display port

SD card reader

Integrated HD webcam

Dell Touchpad

I've been searching through the forums and checked the compatibility list and it seems the M4600 is mostly supported with a few issues still here and there. I wanted to double check that my setup would work, or at least be worth trying to do the install on. Has anyone got their M4600 working 100% in OSX?

I'm assuming the best place for this hackintosh newbie to start is with the "Install OSX with myHack + EDP" guide? I've already gone over it a bit, but if anyone can recommend any other places to review before starting the guide, feel free to let me know! I'm treating this as a learning project and look forward to becoming much more savvy at this with experience. I'm sure there will be a few hiccups along the way. :)

Thank you in advance for any advice or assistance!

-D

Thanks a lot for the info! A lot of great info in that thread, I'll definitely follow that as well. One question about the wireless card. Would something like this work on this laptop with OSX (I assume it will also work for Windows):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250914640818&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Another point I forgot to mention was the idea of creating a dual boot system. Ideally, I was hoping to add a second hard drive to the system and put OSX on one drive, Windows 7 on the other. For the M4600 I was thinking of possibly one of these options:

mSata drive

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-MTE1T0BW-Internal-Single-Version/dp/B00HWHVNUU

- or -

Hard drive caddy

http://www.amazon.com/Caddy-M6400-M6500-Newmodeus-Original/dp/B009OLHSJW

Is it possible to use either of these and have them work with OSX?

Thanks again!

• Administrators

You'll have to check if the M4600 can take those (something outwith the scope of this forum you'll understand). For wireless, please refer to the dedicated thread re: supported/unsupported cards in R&D->Wireless subsection.

Hello again...back after some delays!

I've followed all the steps in the guide up to inserting my usb thumb drive with the myHack installer + bootpack for my computer. I'm able to initiate the installation but then it hangs at this point...see error pic below (sorry I had to take the pic with my cell phone, hopefully it's legible).

post-59655-0-50721000-1404665748_thumb.jpg

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? As I said, I followed each step exactly. The only unusual part was that I don't have any way to set HPET to 64 bit in the bios. There's no setting for it. But, I assume since the system shipped with Windows 7 64 bit that it's on by default? Other than that, I'm stumped. Oh, and I should note that there was never any opportunity that I saw to enter -v. The installer seemed to go into verbose by default after I clicked the installer icon on the boot screen.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!