Dell Precision M4600 Install Newbie

bigapple

• Administrators

you will most likely need to patch your current AICPUPM kext once you have a working system. then remove null cpu. you will also need to find an smbios that works well for PM for your core. and an ssdt.aml there is a nice guide here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/

Ok so tonight I removed the AICPUPM kext and tried booting but I got the following error:

post-59655-0-35008700-1404789857_thumb.jpg

Not sure where that leaves me. I did run a myFix quick on my thumb drive after removing AICPUPM kext so not sure if that had something to do with it?

• Moderators

Ok so tonight I removed the AICPUPM kext and tried booting but I got the following error:

attachicon.giferror_07_07.jpg

Not sure where that leaves me. I did run a myFix quick on my thumb drive after removing AICPUPM kext so not sure if that had something to do with it?

You need to add NullCPUPowerManagement.

Hmm...strange. I double checked my thumb drive and NullCPUPowerManagement kext was in the extras folder. Does it need to be in the extensions folder within the Extras folder? I tried that as well (ran a myFix quick) but it failed in the exact same spot.

Am I doing something wrong setting up my thumb drive? I followed they myHack steps exactly. The only thing that never works is the Extras installation. MyHack completes successfully but never prompts for extras installation. I have to manually run myHack again and then select install Extra (I also made sure to run myHack from the Applications folder). I then physically copied the NullCPUPowerManagement kext to the extras folder. I also made sure to disable all the virtualization tech in the bios as mentioned earlier. But, I can't seem to get it to load past this point...

• Moderators

Hmm...strange. I double checked my thumb drive and NullCPUPowerManagement kext was in the extras folder. Does it need to be in the extensions folder within the Extras folder? I tried that as well (ran a myFix quick) but it failed in the exact same spot.

Am I doing something wrong setting up my thumb drive? I followed they myHack steps exactly. The only thing that never works is the Extras installation. MyHack completes successfully but never prompts for extras installation. I have to manually run myHack again and then select install Extra (I also made sure to run myHack from the Applications folder). I then physically copied the NullCPUPowerManagement kext to the extras folder. I also made sure to disable all the virtualization tech in the bios as mentioned earlier. But, I can't seem to get it to load past this point...

It needs to be in Extra/Extensions. Run my fix (quick) once again.

• Administrators

All kexts need to go to Extra/Extensions (=/E/E), then you run myFix (quick) to install them. If you did not do so, it's normal that nothing works!

So:

DSDT + SSDT + SMBios & Chameleon boot plists  -> in /Extra

kexts -> in /E/E

You can probably try again with that HP pack + SSDT I gave you if things were not in the right place. If they were, just remove SSDT + AICPM kext from /E/E and just use NullCPUPowerManagement in /E/E.

Ok awesome...well that probably explains some things! Sorry about my newbie ignorance. :) I really appreciate all the help and will try this again tonight, then check back. I also plan to make a donation to the site. I have to say I am really impressed with what you guys are doing here. Just a ton of great info, tools and all the assistance you guys provide is just top notch!

• Administrators

if you are still having issues with nullcpu.kext loading you will have to remove  AICPUPM kext from s/l/e and back it up as you might need to patch it and add it back later. then run a myfix quick to rebuild kernel cache. or boot without caches after removal using -f flag

Ok checking back with the latest. Since I didn't seem to have my usb drive set up correctly, I started over from scratch. The following methods I tried, but they all errored out at the same point as seen in the First Error.jpg image on page 2. Sorry I couldn't grab an image this time because the screen goes immediately black right after the error. I can try to video it and grab the frame if you need.

1. Erased USB thumb drive with disk utility, reinstalled myHack with the Extras from the HP pack, then replaced ssdt.aml in Extras with the one for my processor. Ran myFix quick.

2. Removed SSDT (Extras) + AICPM kext (Extras/Extensions) and added NullCPUPowerManagement kext to Extras/Extensions. Ran myFix quick.

3. Removed AICPUPM kext from System/Library/Extensions. Ran myFix quick.

Out of curiosity...should I also try removing the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient kext from System/Library/Extensions?

Other than that I'm not quite sure. Fyi...I downloaded the free Mavericks installer from the app store on my wife's iMac. It downloads a .zip file that when uncompressed is a .app file. Not a .dmg file as I've seen in some documentation. Is any of this problematic? Just covering all my bases. :)