Dell Precision M4600 Install Newbie

bigapple

• Administrators

no harm at trying the myhack generic boot pack at this point. remake the installer though since you have removed kexts from it just to be safe. and for install you do not need an SSDT.aml try using generic as is no modification well unless you need to patch the mach_kernel on root of the usb usually hidden.

Any idea to get around the laptop screen going black after error? I noticed that there's still some activity from the LED light on my thumb drive after it goes black. Just wondering if there's still more processes happening that might help figure out what's going on.

• Administrators

if it's going black then you probably have surpassed the previous errors and now have a graphics loading issue which means you are a step closer to getting it working. research what works for your graphics card.

Well, I just remade the usb installer with myHack and then installed Extra>generic to go with the default. One thing I noticed that's different is the installer goes into a command line interface and not the gui which shows the install disk and any other partitions. But, I was able to enter - v GraphicsEnabler=Yes at the command prompt, but it still errors out in the same place (First Error.jpg image on page 2) and the screen goes black.

Some questions:

1. When I create the myHack installer it always goes through the entire process but doesn't prompt to install Extras as in the documentation. At this point in the install, is that considered generic (as there is a default Extra folder)? I went ahead and opened the myHack app again and selected Install Extra where I chose generic and it installed successfully. I then ran myFix quick again to be safe. Just wondering if I should try again without doing the additional Extra install?

2. So if everything I've done was correct than I'm at the point where I need to dig deeper. Does it seem to be a graphics card issue or still a processor/hardware mismatch somewhere? I've been looking online for any info on the m4600 and ones with my specific processor type and graphics card. People have got them running for the most part, some are making custom dsdt/ssdt's with some apps that are out there? Is that a direction I should explore?

Just trying to figure what the next best approach might be. Thank you again!

• Administrators

yes i believe my fix no longer asks for your extra during install you have to rerun it like you did to add extra. it was done because some asus machines where having issues with certain kexts.

i looked at the 2 pictures and it looks like it is again AICPUPM. also according to http://ark.intel.com/products/50067/Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz you have sandy bridge cpu. it uses AICPUPM so you will need to patch the one in S/L/E most likely for PM. i also see that core has HD3000 graphics. does your machine have optimus graphics? you might need to shut off the nvidia and only use the HD3000 if you cannot shut of the secondary graphics card then that might be why they are using a DSDT. they might be shutting it off from there. you will also need to use an SMBIOS which supports sandy bridge like MBP8,1 8,2 or 8,3.

one more thing exactly what version of 10.9 are you using?

So it looks like I have the OS X 10.9.3 installer.

A couple notes...on my Dell product sheet it lists my processor as i7-2720M Quad Core 2.20 GHz 6MB cache. But, it was pointed out earlier to me that this is basically the i7-2720QM processor so should be fine. Also, it lists graphics as the nVidia Quadro 1000M along with integrated graphics which I believe is the HD3000 (at least according to processor specs). So is optimus graphics the ability to switch between the nVidia and HD3000 depending on what you do? I believe I do have that. You think switching off the nVidia will help it install? I'll check Bios to see if there's a way to turn off the card (or turn off the optimus graphics?). So once I'm able to get an install working on the machine, is it possible to get the nVidia card to work and/or the HD3000 or do you just have to pick one card to run with?

I'm sorry for my newbie questions...but I'm not that familiar with how to patch the AICPUPM or the SMBIOS. Is there an app or something that I can use to make the patch and create a SMBIOS for my machine? I thought I came across one earlier that created SMBIOS files but I could be wrong.