Dell Precision M4600 Install Newbie

bigapple

Just thought I’d check in with an update. More continued progress here.

post-59655-0-91883000-1406511597_thumb.png

Here’s what’s working:

- Native SpeedStep (patched AICPM, FakeSMC/SMBIOS tuned to MBP8,2/SMC keys 1.69F4/smc-huronriver)

- TurboBoost to x30 (tuned SSDT to i7-2720QM)

- Nvidia Quadro 1000M with QE/CI (GE=Yes, EnableBacklight=Yes Enable DualLink=Yes)

- Full audio (VoodooHDA, HDADisabler)

- Intel Gigabit Ethernet (AppleIntelE1000)

- Wireless/Bluetooth via Azurewave AW-CE123H (Broadcom BCM4352 + BCM20702)

- USB 3.0 ports (GenericUSBXHCI)

- Firewire IEEE1394 (OOB)

- Sleep for system/display  (set hibernate mode to 0)

- HD webcam (OOB)

Not working:

- 02 Micro SD card reader

- DVD player (cd player works & some dvd’s play audio only or just error completely)

- Battery Management works but is inaccurate (using HWMonitor which seems more accurate)

- Nvidia QE/CI works but is glitchy (visual artifacts with launchpad and open/close windows, scrollbars, etc.)

Not tested:

- Express Card

- Display Port

- HDMI port

So overall the system is pretty stable and runs well. Just would love to get the graphics tuned better. I’ve tried a few approaches I found online like downgrading the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext to version 10.9.1 but to no avail.

Anybody have any other ideas how to correct some of the glitchiness with the graphics?

Thanks a lot!

• Administrators

SMC keys for MBP8,2 should be 1.69f3 not 1.69f4. You selected DualLink in your boot plist, was BackLight not sufficient?

Your DVD issues will be linked to your graphics problem.

For battery management, there are several kexts: Voodoo but also some Apple, so if one does not seem to work well, you can always try another.

Thanks a lot for the info!

So I was wondering about the SMC keys. Initially I did use 1.69f3 but then thought I was incorrect because I found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Based on my system specs it seemed closest to the MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011). I used 1.69f4 cause I thought that was the latest for my model, but you would know better than me. :)

Backlight did seem to make the graphics better, but still has the glitchiness. I believe I turned on the Dual Link flag in order to get the full HD resolution of my display...but I should probably test again to be sure, maybe it's unnecessary. For the dvd, I tried the approach of patching the dvdplayer kext and patching the com.apple.Boot.plist (adding mbasd=1) but neither fixed the dvd error code 70012.

I'll definitely test out the various kexts for battery management. Is there a way to get those kexts from EDP? I was actually wondering if it was possible to grab specific kexts vs. doing a build? If not there, just google?

Thanks again for the help...I feel like I'm getting close!

• Administrators

Fair enough about 1.69F4 then, but I have other documents that stated 1.69F3 and it worked well on the HP mobile workstation I tested this on. 1.69F4 could be an Apple update of course...

You can google for those various battery management kexts or look them up on Hackintoshosx.org (ex kexts.com). For instance: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/183-applesmartbatterymanager-kext/

Hi, has anybody Maverick or Yosemite installed on Dell Precision M4600 with nVidia Quadro 2000M?

I want to buy this notebook, so I will need your help with installing OSX on it. This is configurations I want to buy: Core i5 2520M, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia Quadro 2000M, Full HD 1920x1080. Wifi card I will use with chip BRCM94352 abgn/ac + BT 4.0LE, so it may work I think.

Can I use the same DSDT.aml as is for M4600 with Quadro 1000M ?

In terms of specs, it's pretty close to HP's EliteBook 8560w mobile workstation for which Mavericks was a pretty easy installation. See here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6536-hp-elitebook-8560w-with-i7-2630qm-and-nvidia-quadro-1000m-mavericks/

Obviously, that Intel wireless card will have to go...

This post helped me a lot, a big thanks, and now i nearly finish with this message: "The installer cannot prepare the disk for installation. You may need to repair your disk using Disk Utility", dell m4600

Any help so far?

Appreciated

sG4FpG.jpg

• Administrators

You need to partition your target disk GPT/GUID and format your target OS X partition "Mac OS X (Journaled)". This should be done through Tools->Disk Utility at the installer main screen once you've booted up your USB installer, before you proceed with actual OS installation.

• Like 1

I encountered this, be stuck there every time trying install even through i had re-formatted the partition to "Mac OS X (Journaled)". The progress bar (and something like: 22 minutes left..) had been running and stopped with that messages. 
I've tried them with other partitions but no luck till now, the installation still interrupts.