Clover on Dell T3500

dm4n

High Sierra Success!

This has been one of the trickier install processes.

I had difficulties updating to High Sierra from Sierra on my 64Gb test ssd, using the (full sized) Install macOS High Sierra app. After many fails, I opted to erase the test drive and do a fresh install. I made an install usb of High Sierra with Clover, disconnected all other drives in the BIOS settings and was able to install from the usb.

One essential prior step, given that there are multiple SSD's and HDD's in my T3500 - was to mount all the EFI partitions and delete nvram.plist from all of them , before attempting to install HS.

I also used

sudo nvram -c

in Terminal (not sure if essential)

This got me past the "OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged" install problem.

The installer rebooted a couple of times, and there were a few nailbiting moments - waiting to see if this would work, or another round of troubleshooting. Such is Hackintosh :)

Post installation, sound was achieved using Voodoo HDA package here

Then (the next morning) it was time to brave the install on main rig. This time, I wanted to upgrade from existing Sierra install.

I  wasn't sure whether the usb installer would allow an upgrade or would automatically do a fresh install (kudos to anyone who can check that), so I opted to use the Install macOS High Sierra app.

I copied the the config.plist from the installer usb and placed the Fake.smc kext form there into EFI > kexts > 10.13 of the main volume.

Also, you will need to once again mount all EFI partitions and delete nvram.plist - found out the hard way.

Once again, I disconnected all other drives in BIOS and restarted and started the installer on the main volume.

The installation went differently this time, progress was very slow. I'm not 100% sure that installation didn't actually happen twice, if that is even possible. But it came good.

I've included a zip for those interested with 2 files - config install.plist was used in both the installer usb for fresh install and installed to the EFI partition of the target volume for the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra.

After installation I changed the SMBIOS from iMac 14.2 to Mac Pro 5,1 in config.plist. Running with 14,2 System Definition seemed to make installation of HS easiest.

Both ssd's were converted to APFS format. Ensure that apfs.efi is installed to your Drivers64 folder in your installer usb or EFI partition.

Thanks to all the dedicated contributors to the hackintosh community who made this possible :)

Good Hack!

Archive.zip

Successfully update to Mojave 10.14 after upgrading the GPU to Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 (Metal capable GPU required by Mojave).

Did both clean install on my test SSD and update from macOS  10.13.6 on main SSD and storage HDD.

The GPU requires WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kexts placed in EFI>Clover>kexts>Other. I also added these kexts and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to the installer usb to get the installer working.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, dm4n said:

Successfully update to Mojave 10.14 after upgrading the GPU to Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 (Metal capable GPU required by Mojave).

Hi, 

I'm quite interested in the spec of your graphics card - I'd heard that all of the AMD 'R' series cards weren't working with VESA mode 103, which is required to show the bios of the T3500. 

Did you simply not bother with the bios? I know that mine resets every now and then, which is why I'm not too keen to just throw another card in without having a backup. (I'm honsetly not sure why, but a few times I've ended up with the drive configuration changing, leaving me with an endless reboot loop)

If the 560 works on boot, I'm going to purchase one (or a 570... 580?) tomorrow!

Update: Mojave installed and updated to 10.14.3 (supplemental update). All good, except for rare graphic glitching that appears resolved after turning off Hardware Acceleration option in Spotify.

Next will test VirtualSMC vs current FakeSMC.