Updates don't want to install...

ISR

So, thanks to this awesome site, I got my computer up and going with OS X 10.8.4.  I was playing around with it and happened upon the update part of the app store.  It had a set of update for my version and an upgrade to a higher one.  I first tried the updates.  It tried to install but it eventually died saying that none of the updates could be installed because some unexpected error.  It then hung on restart.  I restarted the thing but now my version information is showing 10.8.5 and Safari seems to behave a little different.  Why won't normal updates install?  If they do install but give a bad error, why do the updates still show in the app store?

Next, I tried the upgrade to 10.9.x (Mavericks, I believe).  I downloaded the file and now have "Install OS X Mavericks.app" in my applications and I tried to install it.  It does it's thing and restarts …  back to the old one (I dunno, some kitty cat name).  The version string is still 10.8.5.

I was wondering if updates and upgrades don't work on Hackintosh?  Will I have to lose all my data to upgrade to 10.9.x?  If so, can I use the app I have already downloaded to upgrade or do I need to find a different source for Mavericks?

I tried searching for a guide online but they are all dealing with a fresh install.  I can do that, but I thought I'd ask here first.

• Administrators

updates usually work fine but if your having issues download the full combo update. as for upgrading os directly from another os. chameleon cannot do that. clover can. if using chameleon which you most likely are you have to create a myhack installer and either install over your existing os to "upgrade" or just create another partition on your disk and install a fresh os there.

As Bronxteck said, updates usually work great. I try not to use the App Store to update. I'll go download the standalone update or the combo update from Apple's website and update that way instead.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not.

• Administrators

Having done it several times on a D830 nVidia, I can also confirm that updates can be made directly from AppleMenu/AppStore or via Combo Updates; these work fine whether you run ML or Mav. ML and/or Mav updates are no problem on Hackintoshes.

For upgrades, Bronxteck explained it all -> re-install over your existing ML installation to keep your setup and files or do a brand new installation erasing the existing ML partition.

You may not have a fully tuned installation which could explain the issues you encountered.