"No bootable devices" Dell Latitude E6530 using myhack

JohnS

Hi all,

If anyone has any tips on this, I'd be very happy to hear them.

I'm trying to install Mavericks on a Dell Latitude E6530 (i5-3320M).

I have created a USB installer using myhack.  When I start up the PC, after the Dell logo, I get a black screen with the white text message "No bootable devices".

I have plugged the USB installer into a Dell Latitude E6320 and the installer loads, so it seems the USB drive and the installer are OK.

If you have any guidance, please do let me know.

Thanks very much,

John

System Model: Latitude E6530
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel® Core i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor ID: 306a9
Intel HD graphics 4000
BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. A09, 13/12/2012
SMBIOS Version: 2.7
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

Bios boot sequence: USB Storage Device (all other options are disabled)
Boot list option: Legacy
Advance boot options: enable legacy Option ROMS: enabled
Integrated NIC: Enbabled w/PXE is selected
SATA operation: AHCI is selected
USB configuration: Enable boot support is selected.  Enable external usp port is selected
Video: the only options are for LCD brightness
Security: no passwords are enabled
Secure boot: disabled
Performance: C-states control: C states is enabled.
Performance: Hyperthread control is enabled

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your reply.

On the USB port, I should have added that I am using the left port (as you face the laptop from the front) which is the USB 2 port.

On the boot pack, I am currently using generic, but I will try the one you suggest.  Thanks v much for this tip.

But USB port and boot pack aside, I think I still have a general problem installing from USB.  If anyone has any other thoughts, please do let me know.

Many thanks

John.

Hi Jake,

Thanks v much for your advice.

I followed your guide (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5641-dell-latitude-e6430-e6230-intel-mavericks/&do=findComment&comment=29303).  I used the Extra folder suggested on this page.  I also used a different USB stick (the original one worked on one Dell laptop (the one I didn't want to hack), but didn't work on the E6530).  

Now I have OSX Mavericks on the E6530.  Thank you.

I don't yet have audio or multi touch.  Do you reccommend that I do a post-instllation EDP?  Or should I be doing patches from EMlyDinEsH like in your guide?

Many thanks

John

• Moderators

Hi Jake,

Thanks v much for your advice.

I followed your guide (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5641-dell-latitude-e6430-e6230-intel-mavericks/&do=findComment&comment=29303).  I used the Extra folder suggested on this page.  I also used a different USB stick (the original one worked on one Dell laptop (the one I didn't want to hack), but didn't work on the E6530).  

Now I have OSX Mavericks on the E6530.  Thank you.

I don't yet have audio or multi touch.  Do you reccommend that I do a post-instllation EDP?  Or should I be doing patches from EMlyDinEsH like in your guide?

Many thanks

John

On my signature file below, click on Exx30_Touchpad and Exx30_AppleHDA. Put these 2 kexts in Extra/Extensions, remove ApplePS2Controller. Add HDAEnabler=Yes to boot.plist. Run my fix (quick). You should have audio and touchpad capabilities.

Thanks very much for the quick response.  It's very much appreciated.

I'll give it a go.  I'm a newbie, so I'll take my time to make sure I'm doing it right and maybe pop back here with any question.

Once again, thanks v much,

John.

Hi Jake,

Thanks once again.  I now have audio and multitouch on the trackpad.  I only have two finger multitouch and it doesn't do pinch zoom or rotate.  I'm assuming that's the best it can get.  If so, I'm v happy with that.

Next for wifi.  I assume I need a DW1510.  I'd be grateful if you'd let me know if that's right. 

Is there a difference between Broadcom and Dell?

Thanks v much

John

• Moderators

Hi Jake,

Thanks once again.  I now have audio and multitouch on the trackpad.  I only have two finger multitouch and it doesn't do pinch zoom or rotate.  I'm assuming that's the best it can get.  If so, I'm v happy with that.

Next for wifi.  I assume I need a DW1510.  I'd be grateful if you'd let me know if that's right. 

Is there a difference between Broadcom and Dell?

Thanks v much

John

Yes, 2 fingers or side scrolling only. You could also scroll using trackstick with the middle mouse like on Windows.

DW1510 is what I have. It has a Broadcom chipset which works out of the box. But beware, not all Broadcom chipsets are supported. Click on wireless_cards on my signature below for list of supported/unsupported cards and some USB devices too.

• Like 1

Hi Jake,

Installed a Broadcom 1510 but I can't get it to work.  If you have any tips, I'd be v. grateful.

The first time I started up the computer after installation, there was a message saying that it had identified a new wifi card.

But in newtwork preferences, I can't turn wifi on.  There is a button for this, ("Turn Wi-Fi On"). When I click it, it goes blue while clicked, but it reverts to Turn Wi-Fi On.  The status for Wi-fi is "Off".

In the wi-fi status drop-down in the menu bar, it says "Wi-Fi: On", but this is grey.

The details for Wifi in About this Mac are:

Software Versions:
  CoreWLAN:    4.3.3 (433.48)
  CoreWLANKit:    3.3.2 (332.36)
  Menu Extra:    9.3.2 (932.35)
  System Information:    9.0 (900.8)
  IO80211 Family:    6.3 (630.35)
  Diagnostics:    3.0 (300.40)
  AirPort Utility:    6.3.2 (632.3)
  Interfaces:
en1:
  Card Type:    Third-Party Wireless Card
  MAC Address:    00:23:4e:a1:b4:8a
  Supported PHY Modes:    802.11 a/b/g/n
  Supported Channels:    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
  Wake On Wireless:    Supported
  AirDrop:    Supported

If you have any tips, please do let me know.

Many thanks

John