Dell E6410 Mavericks 10.9.3 loses video after login screen without power adapter connected

striker72

I have a Dell E6410 running OS X Mavericks 10.9.3.  I have a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 4GB RAM and NVIDIA video.  Everything has been working great with the laptop over the last few days until I tried to boot without the power adapter. If the power adapter is disconnected, It will boot to the login screen.  Once I enter my password on the boot screen, the screen goes black and I lose video.  I tried booting with safe mode and I was able to login without the power cable so it's some type of video issue.  The strange thing here is that if I boot with the power adapter connected, it works fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update.  If I boot with the power cable attached and then remove the power adapter from the laptop, the screen stays on for a few minutes and then blacks out.  I have to completely shut down the laptop and reboot with the power cable attached to use the OS.

Thanks, the info you requested is below.

Active Profiles:

AC Power                -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay         4200

standby              0

womp                 1

halfdim              1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

networkoversleep     0

disksleep            10

sleep                0 (sleep prevented by apsd, apsd, AddressBookSour, mds, UserEventAgent)

hibernatemode        0

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         10

lidwake              1

I just tried booting with the darkwake=0 flag and there was no change. the screen still turns off about 20 to 30 seconds after the system boots.  How do I fix an improper or missing DSDT implementation of the battery/ac adapter injection?  And thanks very much for your assistance.

• Administrators

research mostly and alot of googling. unless you want to read the ACPI handbook it's a pretty long read. there are some maciasl repos that have patches for dsdt you can try looking at some of them. again google.

• Administrators

I would have expected you to have a battery profile in addition to your mains profile.

-> E.g., on battery:

pc21:~ admin$ sudo pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1*
AC Power -1
Currently in use:
 hibernatemode        0
 displaysleep         15
 lidwake              1
 acwake               0
 halfdim              1
 sleep                20
 ttyskeepawake        1
 disksleep            10
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 ring                 0
pc21:~ admin$ 

-> E.g., on mains:
pc21:~ admin$ sudo pmset -g
Active Profiles:
Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
 womp                 1
 autorestart          0
 halfdim              1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 ring                 1
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            10
 sleep                30
 hibernatemode        0
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         20
 acwake               0
 lidwake              1
pc21:~ admin$ 

I'm inclined to think that your battery manager is not working properly... Which kext are you using?

I used the E6410 M Extra package during the install so it would be all the ktext's provided in that package.  Should I try to replace one of the ktext's to work on this issue?  If so which one is for the battery manager?  thanks again.

this is the extra's I used.  https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4518/

Just for troubleshooting purposes, I grabbed a new hard drive and completely reinstalled OSX Mavericks using the E6410 M Extra package and I am still having the same problem.  Mavericks does not seem to detect that I even have a battery.  If I boot without the power adapter, it shows an x on the battery right after login and shuts down within a few seconds.