Dell E6410 Mavericks 10.9.3 loses video after login screen without power adapter connected

striker72

• Moderators

Just for troubleshooting purposes, I grabbed a new hard drive and completely reinstalled OSX Mavericks using the E6410 M Extra package and I am still having the same problem.  Mavericks does not seem to detect that I even have a battery.  If I boot without the power adapter, it shows an x on the battery right after login and shuts down within a few seconds.  

Sounds like you might have a bad battery that may not hold a charge anymore.

Go to the BIOS under Battery Information, see the health of the battery.

• Moderators

I have two batteries and both do the same thing.  Bios shows Battery Health Normal at at 100%.  I have Windows installed on another hard drive and it works fine with that OS on this same laptop.

Remove NulĆPUPowerManagement and VoodooBattery and replaced with this in Extra. Run my fix (quick) and reboot.PM.zip

Ok, here is the update:  I Removed the NullCPUPowerManagement and VoodooBattery and replaced them with the ones you provided in Extra and ran myfix quick and rebooted.  I am now able to use the laptop without the power adapter on battery without having it shut off the display.  I did however, lose the ability to see the battery status or percentage remaining in IOS on the status bar.  Also pmset -g still only shows an AC Power Profile.  If this is how it has to stay that's ok but it would be really helpful using the laptop on battery to know what the remaining battery percentage was so it will not shut off.  One other thing I thought i would mention.  I am also experiencing an intermittent screen flicker with the video.  Every once in a while the screen will just flicker.  Is there any known fix for that one as well.  Once again, THANK YOU so much for help with these issues.  I am really enjoying working with the OSX.

• Moderators

Ok, here is the update:  I Removed the NullCPUPowerManagement and VoodooBattery and replaced them with the ones you provided in Extra and ran myfix quick and rebooted.  I am now able to use the laptop without the power adapter on battery without having it shut off the display.  I did however, lose the ability to see the battery status or percentage remaining in IOS on the status bar.  Also pmset -g still only shows an AC Power Profile.  If this is how it has to stay that's ok but it would be really helpful using the laptop on battery to know what the remaining battery percentage was so it will not shut off.  One other thing I thought i would mention.  I am also experiencing an intermittent screen flicker with the video.  Every once in a while the screen will just flicker.  Is there any known fix for that one as well.  Once again, THANK YOU so much for help with these issues.  I am really enjoying working with the OSX.

Try the newer version of smart battery. If it still doesn't work, try the acpibatterymanager.

Battery.zip

Also check preference, make sure battery status bar is checked.

Ok, I first  used newer version of smart battery. it did not give me the battery icon back and there was no option in preferences to enable it, then i tried the new acpibatterymanager and that fixed the problem.  I have both of those new kext's installed and I have my battery icon back in the status bar and I am able to work on or off A/C power.  THANK YOU SO MUCH for everyone's assistance.  The only remaining issue (although minor) is the intermittent video flicker I get on occasion.  If anyone knows how to fix that everything would be working perfectly now.  (except the sleep which I don't really need).  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

• Moderators

Ok, I first  used newer version of smart battery. it did not give me the battery icon back and there was no option in preferences to enable it, then i tried the new acpibatterymanager and that fixed the problem.  I have both of those new kext's installed and I have my battery icon back in the status bar and I am able to work on or off A/C power.  THANK YOU SO MUCH for everyone's assistance.  The only remaining issue (although minor) is the intermittent video flicker I get on occasion.  If anyone knows how to fix that everything would be working perfectly now.  (except the sleep which I don't really need).  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

You shouldn't need both. Remove Applesmartbatterymanager and just keep acpibatterymanager.