Trouble installing Mavericks on Optiplex 9020

ktbos

That makes sens, it should take the first DSDT.aml in the Extra folder but the point is that I have no DSDT.aml in it,  you can check by yourself with my working Extra folder here :

1930ed4a20fc38e5c2df4aa93f656ac2.png

I don't think that those two DSDT files are used but maybe the SSDT one, I guess is not used either..

Realz, thanks for the screenshot.  It's surprising that going with no DSDT worked.  But yes, if you don't leave the default name, it won't find the file.  It looks for (I'm pretty sure) a file named either /Extra/DSDT.aml or /DSDT.aml.  You don't have the first but can you just verify the second?  Can you verify that you do not have a file in your top level named DSDT.aml?  (If you do, then it is using that and can you attach that here.)  

As for the SSDT, the boot.plist does include DropSSDT and that will pick up the file /Extra/SSDT.aml so that one is in use.  And I'm glad you were able to find or make one for your computer since that's one place we know our two computers are different.  

Right, and in a previous attempt, that's exactly what Realz did where he had a line that said "DSDT=/Extra/DSDT-ktbos.aml".  But in this case, since there was no "DSDT=" in the boot.plist, and since the file was still named "DSDT-ktbos.aml", there is no DSDT that gets loaded, right?  That is, providing that he doesn't have a "DSDT.aml" file in either the "Extra" directory (he doesn't as confirmed above in his post) or in the root directory (the reason for my question to him). 

And therefore, not including "DSDT=..." in the boot.plist is the same as "DSDT=null" when there is no file named exactly "DSDT.aml" in either the root directory or in the /Extra directory? 

A quick update for now - more details to come later.  The issue with sleep was solved partially by the hibernate mode issue mentioned earlier in this thread.  But it turns out that using two monitors both connected via passive DVI adapters to the two DP connectors would cause the computer to fail to boot on recent version of the OS.  (One monitor with passive adapter is fine.)  I was able to patch the AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext so it would allow the computer to boot up with the two passive adapters but then sleep, restart/shutdown, and even display sleep would cause the computer to hang.  I spent days working on this and eventually concluded it is just a limitation of the kext and that I wasn't going to be able to work around it.  And I can confirm that changing one of the passive adapters to an active adapter works around the problem, as does using a DisplayPort monitor (which is what I had been doing in my initial testing and why I hadn't seen the problem that Jake was having with his set up).  

It's also worth noting that the active adapter has to be in the upper DP connector on the Optiplex 9020 with the passive one in the lower connector.  That's the only way it will work.  With them reversed, the computer won't even boot up successfully hanging on the white screen when starting up.  

This is all with 10.9.4.  I haven't gotten to 10.9.5 or to Yosemite yet so it will be interesting to see if any of this gets better - or worse!  

Thanks to Realz and Jake for their help debugging this info and getting to this point.  I will follow up with more info shortly.