[Solved] E6410 No HD Drives available in Disk Utility

marlawre

I'm hoping someone can point to this quickly.  I have followed Patel4Prez's guide exactly for the E6410 with ML, including the additional top from coldsun1187 about using the E6410 ML.zip as well as the E6410 10.8.4.zip.  I built the USB perfectly.  Now however, when I boot from the USB, my HD (80Gb) drive is not displayed in the Disk Utility in order to format it and install to it.  I have checked and I have IOATAFamily.kext in System:Library:Extensions.  Anyone point to a quick fix for this?

Thanks.

Jake - yes - it is on AHCI - when I go into the BIOS settings, it is there.  When I boot initially from the USB and it gives me the options to boot from, the old HD is there too - it's just once I boot from the USB that it's not available.

As a follow up, I built the installer with the 10.8.1 ML pack to start - and I get the same message about the failed install - so - I am guessing there is something missing from the 10.8 ML pack - I will see what the differences are between the two - I'm guessing there is something missing in the S:L:E directory on the 10.8 ML pack...

Hey marlawre,

Did the HDD in the computer ever get wiped/zero-filled? If so, you may need to create a new partition map. You can do this with an Ubuntu/GParted/Other Linux Distro Live DVD/USB.

Also, can I suggest trying a Mavericks install? The install procedure is much simpler and there are less issues reported than Mountain Lion.

Thanks Patel

I found that the AHCI kext's were missing in the S:L:E directory on the original E6410 ML.zip package.  I copied the ones from the E6410 10.8.1 ML.zip package and rebuilt the installation USB.  I'm in the process of checking that one out and installing at the moment.  If that doesn't work, I will go to the Mavericks one and see what happens with that.