E6420 10.9.3 Install Issues

Budroid

Hi everyone.  I have a Latitude E6420 that I'm trying to build an OSX install USB drive for and I'm running into some issues.  I'm a PC service technician but new to OSX.  First, my laptop specs:

Dell Latitude E6420

BIOS A21

i7-2760QM

NVidia Optimus

16GB RAM

Intel 7260 Wifi+Bluetooth (I know this won't work so not concerned on this part)

1600x900 LCD

Now, I have an OSX installation running on my laptop but it is not really working well and as I no longer have access to a MAC running OSX, I have to keep my existing installation running so I can use myHack to build new installers.  The OSX installer that worked to get me this far came from here:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6192-guide-mavericks-on-dell-latitude-e6420/

But, my graphics are really poor (artifacts, low resolution) and none of my docking station ports work except USB.  I've been trying to use Jake Lo's E6520 installation with Optimus but my installer keeps crashing with this error:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffff7f8088c27a): CPU 7 has no HPET assigned to it

Kernel Extension in backtrace: com.apple.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

How I built my latest installer was this:

1. Download Jake Lo's extra

2. From npjohnson's extra, extract the SSDT for my processor (properly named)

3. From npjohnson's extra, extract the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

4. Modify org.chameleon.boot.plist for my LCD resolution

5. Build as instructed in Jake's E6520 thread

I've tried the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from myHack, from Jake Lo's E6520 extra, and from npjohnson's extra, and I still get this error.  I also tried booting the installer with -x -v cpus=1 and it still didn't work.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Please let me know if more information is needed from me to help diagnose what is causing this issue.

• Moderators

There should be an SSDT for i7-2760QM in the boot pack for E6520 Optimus, inside SSDT folder. Rename it to SSDT.aml.

If that still won't work, remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and replace it with NullCPUPowerManage.kext. This should get the installation started.

If you want to disable Optimus and use the Nvidia card, see this guide.

There should be an SSDT for i7-2760QM in the boot pack for E6520 Optimus, inside SSDT folder. Rename it to SSDT.aml.

If that still won't work, remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and replace it with NullCPUPowerManage.kext. This should get the installation started.

If you want to disable Optimus and use the Nvidia card, see this guide.

Thanks for your reply Jake.  I found the SSDT and renamed it but still got the same error.  Then, I removed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and I tried both just placing the NullCPUPowerManage.kext in the extra then tried renaming the NullCPUPowerManage.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and both times the installer just locked up.  The last line is "IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87".  I let the laptop sit there for about 20 minutes with no activity.

I'm going to try the NVidia guide you linked above.

Actually, I rebuilt the entire install USB drive each time.  And I just rebuilt it again with the extra from the NVidia guide you posted.  Then, I rebooted and disabled Optimus in the BIOS and the installer locks up at the same place.  Not sure what to try at this point...any other suggestions?

**Edit** So, I just wiped my USB drive, AGAIN, and downloaded the Extra from your E6520 Optimus guide, again, and built the installer, again, changed the resolution in the boot.plist again, copied the correct SSDT again, and this time, the installer booted.  Unbelievable.  I've done these same steps again and again and again and now it worked.  I really didn't change anything else at all.

I was able to fully install OSX using the E6520 Optimus guide.  Another question though if I may...is there a way to get the video ports on the docking station to work?  So far, I haven't had them work at all and I haven't found any guides for doing so.  I thought maybe the NVidia graphics were required for the docking station ports so I tried to build using the NVidia graphics with Optimus disabled but I cannot get the installer to launch.  I think it may be the DSDT.aml and the resolution setting.  I tried to setup 1600x900x32 in the boot.plist and that didn't work.  I also tried the DSDT-2ch.aml from the Optimus extra but still didn't boot the installer successfully.