Backup and Restore of Drive Image and/or Kexts.

muzicman82

Hi all,

I have a Dell Precision M6500 that I got working REALLY well on 10.9. It took a lot of digging around the web to find Kexts that worked and customizing things the way I like.

I don't need OS X regularly. I did the install as a way to learn some OS X apps for training assistance. 

At one point, I needed to ditch that install to free up the drive for a Windows 7 install. I dual boot on this laptop. The main SSD is Windows 8. OS X had a 2nd SSD all to itself. 

So, since I do not have another Mac, I used Acronis True Image to create a backup of the OS X disk. This may have been a mistake knowing Windows doesn't support HFS+. My True Image does have Plus Pack so I had GPT support. That said, I used Byte-for-Byte backup, so, to my knowledge, Acronis shouldn't care what is on the drive. 

When I restored, I did a Byte-for-Byte restore, but for whatever reason, the drive would not boot. I don't know why.

What I am looking at now is re-installing OS X clean on this SSD. But, since I can access files on the backup (I do have Mac Drive installed on Windows, and it works with Acronis), what folders and files do I need to copy and restore to the new install so that my kext setup is exactly like the backup? I guess what I am looking for is how to manually move the kexts around, and clear the cache, but still be able to boot the install. Again, I want to be able to do this without being in OS X. 

Any other pointers on how to backup and restore this OS X drive from a Windows PC? I have R-Studio, and that can also make byte-for-byte backups. Or is that the wrong feature completely? 

I think it turns out that my restore from Acronis True Image the first time was not a byte-for-byte restore. Apparently, you have to select this as option for the backup AND restore. I don't know why it just doesn't do this for restore if it was selected for the backup.

I'm still curious as to how to manually manipulate kexts if you were to botch your OS X boot.