Some D430s just can't use the USB pen method?

pilgrim

I've just come across my second D430 that absolutely could not boot from the USB pen in order to install Snow Leopard. I've installed SL on 3 D420s, 2 D430s and a D620 using the same 8GB USB pen. But 2 D430s just kept kernel panicking time and again. The bios is up to date at A09, the USB pens work on other Dells, all internal components check out fine. In the end, I installed SL using the Leppy method from insanelymac, where I had to boot from the D620SLV1 CD, get to the Chameleon screen, and then swap the CD for the retail SL DVD. The installs then went fine, I then installed Chameleon and EDP from a USB pen, and I updated to 10.6.6 using a downloaded Combo DMG.

Anyone else come across this?

I guess I've learned that you can save a LOT of time if you don't keep trying and trying, maybe redo the USB pen a few times (thinking it might be the pen that's faulty). If the install doesn't work after a couple of tries with the USB pen, go immediately to the Leppy method with boot CD and retail SL DVD.

I've just come across my second D430 that absolutely could not boot from the USB pen in order to install Snow Leopard. I've installed SL on 3 D420s, 2 D430s and a D620 using the same 8GB USB pen. But 2 D430s just kept kernel panicking time and again. The bios is up to date at A09, the USB pens work on other Dells, all internal components check out fine. In the end, I installed SL using the Leppy method from insanelymac, where I had to boot from the D620SLV1 CD, get to the Chameleon screen, and then swap the CD for the retail SL DVD. The installs then went fine, I then installed Chameleon and EDP from a USB pen, and I updated to 10.6.6 using a downloaded Combo DMG.

Anyone else come across this?

I guess I've learned that you can save a LOT of time if you don't keep trying and trying, maybe redo the USB pen a few times (thinking it might be the pen that's faulty). If the install doesn't work after a couple of tries with the USB pen, go immediately to the Leppy method with boot CD and retail SL DVD.

I use a usb hard drive with better success....