Yosemite 10.10 on Dell Latitude e6500

howoarang

Hi everybody,

I want to share my knowlodge about installing Yosemite 10.10 DP1 on my Dell Latitude e6500 (configuration below)

I use procedure and needed files of user krzysztofc10, so many thanks for it :)

These are the used files and apps to prepare USB installer:

Boot USB OS X Yosemite_MBR_(Chameleon r2380).zip

Extra.zip

- You need also at least 8GB USB flash drive

- 10.10 Yosemite DP1. 

It is needed to move 10.10 Yosemite DP1 to your Application folder and name must be Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app

Ok, so this is the "how-to" prepare USB installer:

1. using disk utility partition your USB flash drive to this:

Partition layout: 1 partition

Name: what you want, f.e. yos

Format :Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

In Options: GUID partition table

2. unzip Boot USB OS X Yosemite_MBR_(Chameleon r2380).zip file and run it.

click Continue, Continue, Continue, Continue, Agree, Change Install Location to your USB, then CUSTOMIZE, and select Installer + chameleon (booth must by selected to install Chameleon boot loader to your USB), Install, write password...

( wait for few minutes, it depends on your USB drive speed)

3. unzip Extra.zip folder and copy to your USB flash drive (if there was previous Extra folder, remove it before copy)

4. restart and boot from USB with these flags -v -f -x

install it...

I'll be doing some experimentation with Yosemite and the E6500's close cousin, the M4400. Clover will be the main target since myHack for Yosemite probably won't be out for some time to come.

howoarang, I experienced similar sound issues with my M4400 while running Clover+Mavericks a few weeks ago. Are you using VoodooHDA?

yes i expect too that if it works for the M4400 that it will work for the E65/6400's as well.  Thank you I look forward to hearing what you find!

I downloaded the Extra contents for my 10.9 install on here...that may be a good starting point for the  M4400 yes?

OK.

But with Chameleon B.loader I still have no luck to boot yosemite. So now, I am using clover. But with clover, my sound works so bad, not properly (with VoodooHDA.kext 2.8.7). Using patched AppleHDA and AppleHDADisabler my sound doesn't work. Other hardware works well (like CPU, GPU, WLAN, LAN, Bluetooth, Track & Touch Pad...) 

Ok, so I tried to install Yosemite by doing the following:

1. Create Yosemite installer thumb drive

2. Install Clover r2953 on the thumb drive

3. Turned off as much as possible in the Clover configuration to match 10.9 Chameleon settings

4. Copy 10.9 kexts and DSDT to appropriate directories in Clover EFI partition

The installer boots and video acceleration works, but windows have an odd artifact at their tops. After "Preparing installer" for  around 10 minutes, the computer reboots but then goes nowhere because Clover doesn't see the installed partition. I don't know how to get past this problem.

I also looked into using Chameleon, but it seems that for now Chameleon requires its own copy of the kernel which feels really janky. I hope the Chameleon team can get things lined out so that booting 10.10 can be as clean and easy as booting 10.9.

----------------------

EDIT: I have Yosemite running with Clover now and seems to be running OK with exception to audio. I'm trying different things to fix this.

----------------------

EDIT 2: Patched AppleHDA from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/188-applehda-for-dell-latitude-e6400-idt-92hd71b7/ works better than VoodooHDA; sound doesn't break up while playing, but overall quality may be degraded and it seems to choke a bit whenever more than one sound plays at once. With Chameleon, this sort of thing shows up when your bus speed is wrong, but I really have no idea what it indicates when using the technical, complicated Clover.

I have a feeling that this is a simple matter of ticking the right boxes in the Clover config, but I really don't know and don't feel like risking my hardware by experimenting further. I'm sitting tight on Mavericks until Chameleon properly supports Yosemite.

• Moderators

OK.

But with Chameleon B.loader I still have no luck to boot yosemite. So now, I am using clover. But with clover, my sound works so bad, not properly (with VoodooHDA.kext 2.8.7). Using patched AppleHDA and AppleHDADisabler my sound doesn't work. Other hardware works well (like CPU, GPU, WLAN, LAN, Bluetooth, Track & Touch Pad...) 

Using AppleHDADisabler will disable patched AppleHDA. You only use the disabler with voodoohda.