Vostro 200/GT610 Maverick Installation Woes

arcaman6

Hey Guys

I am trying to upgrade my Vostro 200 to Maverick but not having any luck.

System is Vostro 200 with Nvidia GT610 2GB video card. System is currently running fully updated Lion without any issues using the Lion-Mav boot pack I downloaded some time ago (no boot packs for V200 currently downloadable from site).

I tried to use the Apple update to Maverick by downloading from Apple store which downloaded fine. When ran it said it was preparing for upgrade for around 1 minute and then said it was going to reboot the machine - which it did but came back up into Lion again without making any changes. I am thinking that maybe this is not how to do it.

So I created an installer from the downloaded Maverick update file and MyHack 3.3.1 with the boot pack mentioned in the famous post 9. Built no problem.

When I boot from it (F12 on power up) the startup seems to fine until the stage where the language selection would appear - system hangs with no video output.

Last output on screen is

SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode

NVIDIAStartup: Official

GeForceSensors: still waiting for accelerator to start ...

Starting with -x -v made no difference

Starting with GraphicsEnabler=No made no difference

PCI settings for card are 10DE:104A

This might indicate issues with video card but since it is working OK with Lion I hesitate to suspect it. 

Any ideas?

arcaman6

Thanks. Will try it both ways just for fun.

I looked at the boot up more closely and realised I had missed a few lines at the end. They are probably not relevant but here goes anyway:-

SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode

NVDAStartup: Official

GeForceSensors: still waiting for accelerator to start ...

NVDAGF188HAL Loaded and Registered

{AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform

DSMOS has arrived

[iOBluetoothHCIController [start] -- completed

arcaman6

• Administrators

You are correct, no Hackintosh can be "upgraded" to Mavericks (or any other OS X version for that matter) that way. You have to actually re-install the OS as a brand new installation but this can be done "over" an existing OS X installation such as SL, Lion or ML. You then get to keep all your files and/or apps.

I guess you meant "NVDAGF100HAL Loaded and Registered", not 188HAL. Not that it matters anyway... Strange that your system appears to load all the right nVidia kexts, yet it fails to initialize graphics.

Try to boot with -f flag in addition to -v and make sure you've configured your BIOS as per recommended settings. It must be something really trivial because you're just about there. Maybe change the resolution specified in the boot plist (it's that of my own LCD) in case it does not fit your screen. I don't think there's anything wrong with your card either.

It should not normally matter, but I use FakeSMC v6.0.1033 under ML and v6.0.1067 under Mav. You may want to try the latter.

You can also uncheck the C2/C3/C4 States I had selected in the Chameleon boot plist.

FakeSMC_v6.0.1011.zip FakeSMC_v6.0.1067.zip

Now another little niggle.

Every so often Maverick complains about a kext with a "Kernel extension is not from an identified developer" message and lists

/System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/Plugins/FakeSMCKeyStore.kext as not from an identified developer - is there any way to stop this?

[edit] Solved with following:-

Go to System preferences

- Security and privacy
- Unlock (password needed)
- Allow apps downloaded from:

Choose: Anywhere

arcaman6