DELL D630-NVIDIA- Cpu & gpu temp always above 70º Celsius (Mavericks).

hacaira

Hello,

I have succesfully installed Mavericks on my D630-Nvidia. I have used EDP to install kext and others.

Myfix was stuck (wrong answer when waiting for "Yes" or "No"), so I did it manually via the application.

After reboot, everything was working fine except for HWMonitor which displayed very high temps for CPU and GPU (above 95º celsius). I did a update of the HWMonitor and after reboot, the temp is still very high (around 70º). Under Lion, the temp was around 45º in the same condition.

Could it be related to cpu being always at the highest frequency? I used to have an app to control the cpu rate under Lion. Is still available for Mavericks? I have not found it under EDP.

Anyone to help me out?

• Administrators

First of all, you should all make sure that the Tjmax parameter of the FakeSMC CPUMonitor PlugIn kext has the correct value (eg: 100°C for T7xx0, 105°C for T8x00/T9x00). Tjmax values are available on Intel's web site. An incorrect Tjmax value in the kext's plist (set to 0 by default if I'm not mistaken) may report an incorrect CPU T° in HWMonitor or any other monitoring app (depending on the system).

Then note that nVidia Quadro NVS 135M GPU runs extremely hot on this D630 platform. For the 2 years I've been using it, mine never ran below mid 70°C and would also reach mid-90°C under video/heavy graphics demand. Then it failed a couple of weeks ago (as they all do eventually - it's a well known issue). I baked the motherboard to recover it to normal. The GPU now runs just a little cooler than before (low-70°C to high 80°C) but it'll never be cooler than that.

The T° reported by Axel do not seem correct to me at all, at least not on an nVidia model... Maybe on a GMA X3100, but even on that, 36°C is just kind of hard to believe... I think my CPU idles around high-40°C/Low-50°C.

Re: CPU speed, I take it you're not running native SpeedStep, so please do read the various threads and articles on the matter. Yes, CPU+GPU will run hotter than necessary if you're always on highest CPU frequency, it's perfectly normal. Just search the forum and article's section of the web site. Thank you.

First of all, you should all make sure that the Tjmax parameter of the FakeSMC CPUMonitor PlugIn kext has the correct value (eg: 100°C for T7xx0, 105°C for T8x00/T9x00). Tjmax values are available on Intel's web site. An incorrect Tjmax value in the kext's plist (set to 0 by default if I'm not mistaken) will report an incorrect CPU T° in HWMonitor or any other monitoring app.

The T° reported by Axel do not seem correct to me at all, at least not on an nVidia model... Maybe on a GMA X3100, but even on that, 36°C is just kind of hard to believe... I think my CPU idles around high-40°C/Low-50°C.

In FakeSMC (6.8.1307) I have no  CPUMonitor PlugIn kext.

Do you mean CPUSensors.kext ?

There, the Tjmax value 0 was set. I set it to 105.

no major changes in HWMonitor.

post-9116-0-43483500-1412974755_thumb.png

• Administrators

Woaw, keep that special D630n preciously, because such low T° at max speed is quite simply amazing!

Yes, I meant CPUSensors of course, my mistake...

This is mine, idling... It does not matter which FakeSMC I'm using (running 6.9.1315 at the moment) and I even have a copper shim on the GPU!

D630n_Temp.jpg

I must say, when I switched the cpu I had no thermal paste, so I've used toothpaste.
but that's probably not the cause of the low temperature.

There are also programs that drive the temperature up.
convert videos with ffmpeg for example brings a temperature above 70
ºC

Hello guys,

Thanks for all your answers.

I have edited the cpusensors plugin's plist and I have the value "100" for Tjmax.

<key>PlatformString</key>

<string></string>
<key>Tjmax</key>
<integer>100</integer>

Still, HWmonitor is giving wrong temps (74° for GPU and 68° for CPU (idle), Cpu multiplier is "x3" or "546 Mhz").
I have replace the thermo pasta a few month ago and real temperatures are very low (fan is spinning at the lowest speed). so for sure, HWmonitor is not indicating the real temps. HWmonitor version is 6.11.1328 but I have not found the way the discover what is Fakesmc version?
Any idea?

• Administrators

546MHz means you have IDA enabled in BIOS on a Merom CPU (which T7xxx CPUs are). You need to turn that off to regain the missing 10% in CPU speed (you should idle at 600MHz and reach up to 2.0GHz (both +/- a few Hz), which you're clearly not getting right now). It's clearly stated in the BIOS config + performance tuning threads.

Once you update the Tjmax parameter in the CPUsensors PlugIn, you need to re-run myFix (quick) and reboot to take the change into effect. Re: FakeSMC version, just right click on the kext...