Quick request - Fastest MacOS for the M4300?

moonman

Just got a 2nd M4300 with T9300 processor and 4GB RAM, a bit higher spec than my other one. I've got Mavericks on the first one, which has a T7500 processor, and it seems a bit slow at times.

Would you recommend staying with Mavericks? I've got some software I have to use that is still compatible with Snow Leopard, one of my favorite all-time operating systems and pretty fast, so I could install that if you think it would be faster.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I find that for OS X, CPU speed doesn't matter nearly as much as RAM and disk speed. Running on 4GB or less is torturous and a huge improvement can be had from pushing it to 8GB. I also saw a massive performance increase by moving away from a mechanical HD to an 840 EVO SSD; with these two upgrades, my M4400 outperforms many brand new computers in some ways despite being manufactured in 2008.

Another factor may be your DSDT, SMBIOS, and FakeSMC setup. If those are incorrect, your CPU and memory may be running slower than they should be.

I also have the M4300 with the T7500 processor and 4gb ram, But it is really struggling with graphics now. I the standard EPD on running Mavericks 10.10.5 also when I boot the machine up it hangs for 15secs before switching graphics to desktop. Once on everything seems to run ok but it's the graphic issue. I have standard bios settings recommended by Herve any help would be appreciated guys.