E6410 nVidia - Yosemite Help Thread

v3ct0r

Hi Pluto -

I tried pressing the left arrow key repeatedly at several different points and it always goes to the "Not Boot Device Found" screen unless I plug in the USB - which then just boots to the Chameleon selection menu... Can't find the hidden menu! :(

Another oddity is that when I get into the OS and open the Chameleon Wizard it says that it can't find the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist although I can click Open and it is in /Extra/ at the root ...

Thanks!

Try booting to the installer drive (E6410Y) after installing, not the drive or partition you installed to. Sometimes I've found it boots to the setup screen on the drive/partition with Yosemite, but other times it will just boot to the installation setup. If it gets to the installation setup, open up a Terminal window (utilities, terminal), and run these commands:

mkdir /Volumes/[nameofpartitionwithYosemite]/System/Library/Kernels

cp -R /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/[nameofpartitionwithYosemite]/System/Library/Kernels

Then reboot to the bootloader on the flash drive and pick the Yosemite partition.

Hi Patel -

I am trying this now and will let you know how that goes. I did notice it went back into the installation before which I found odd.

Let's see if that works.

Thanks!

Hi Patel -

I ran through the post-install initially and just tried it again (installed Chameleon to "Macintosh HD") then ran the sudo ... post install script, rebooted, and have the "No Boot Device Found" error still.

One weird thing I noticed is that in the Chameleon install log, it says the following:

- Running Standard postinstall script

- Target volume = /Volumes/Macintosh HD on /dev/disk1

- NOTE: Target has existing unrecognised bootcode in the MBR. Leaving as is.

- Detected a Windows installation on this volume.

Which is impossible as I wiped the drive before the install and it hasn't had Windows since! (Originally wiped for Mavericks).

It shows /dev/disk0, /dev/disk1, and /dev/disk2 at the top (/dev/disk0 and /dev/disk1 are Mac related with /dev/disk0 showing disk0|disk0s1|disk0s2|disk0s3 and /dev/disk1 showing disk1 as an identifier) ... /dev/disk2 is the thumb drive. It says that /dev/disk1 is the "Logical Volume on disk0s2" if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

Edit:

I selected 1 partition/GUID/Journaled and applied it.

* I may just try to do a new completely clean install again if you think that is best.

Edit 2:

Well, went through and did a completely clean install with the same results... so strange. Still see that "Windows is installed" message in the Chameleon log too ... completely wiped the drive during install.

*shrug* - very strange! I will likely just head back on Mavericks for now. :)

Thank you Patel and everyone!

Edit 3:

This has to have something to do with that strange "disk1" I mentioned before ... I looked at the Chameleon install log where I created the USB drive (This was done on a separate but identical machine) and it makes no mention of that 3rd disk - there is only disk0 and disk1 (disk1 in this case is the USB drive ... so the entire Mac OS etc. is all on disk0 but according to the Chameleon install log from the post install here - there are 3 'disks' ...) Very strange. Wonder if I can figure out a way to see all of these and completely verify that the drive is wiped before I install. If I find anything I'll let you know - but this one is crazy!

Hey Patel, on Step 33 when you say:

33. Let it boot to the drive/partition that you installed Yosemite to..

Should I select the actual hard drive in which I just installed Yosemite or the thumb drive? I only ask because of the post installation steps that copy over extra etc. and not being able to get into the OS without booting from USB so far...

Thanks!

Edit:

Okay tried everything again after removing the hard drive, connecting it to a Windows machine, complete wiping the drive, and doing a new clean install ... same outcome unfortunately. Going to head back to Mavericks for now. :)

Thanks!

Yeah I'm honestly not too sure about that step anymore. It seems everytime I install it changes.

And as for your partitioning issues, make sure when you get to the Yosemite setup (first time/pre-install), you use Disk Utility to PARTITION the hard drive, not ERASE...once you choose partition, the whole drive will be wiped and usable under OSX.

Also, don't forget the AHCI setting in the BIOS. I know you had Mavericks on it before, so it should be set correctly, but it can't hurt to double check :).

Yeah it is interesting!

I am definitely using Partition and not Erase... also the AHCI setting was correct - I checked that about 20 times lol.

Thank you for the help - I'll see if I can get Mavericks back for now and check this out again soon. :)

Thanks!

Hey guys.

I managed the issue with ACPI in another way. I found a config.plist file for another Dell Laptop and got beyond the ACPI KP with it. All I had to do then was inject Nvidia and voila...

Now I have a working Yosemite with Clover and much more important a otb working iMessage. I love Clover... now!

I have still issues with sound. I can't adjust the volume. Any news regarding this issue?

Can you share some details on how your clover config is set up, and particularly your config.plist? Id like to have working iMessage and if Clover can do that, great.

Regarding sound,  Ive had luck using VoodooHDA in /S/L/E combined with kext-dev-mode=1, Thats on chameleon so it may or may not work, but since it's straight in /S/L/E it might.