[GUIDE] Dell Latitude E6x20 Yosemite Install

Agrerald

Dell Latitude E6x20 Yosemite Install Guide

Tested models:

Latitude E6220
Latitude E6320

Known Issues:

- Wifi will not work, consider replacing by a BCM43225HMB (Bluetooth + Wifi) or AR9280 (Wifi only).

- UEFI mode works, but it's somewhat buggy.

​- Screen brightness won't be saved after sleep or restart.

Overview

1. Download the OS X Yosemite Application from the Mac App Store

2. Prepare a Installer USB flash drive

3. Install OS X Yosemite

4. Install the bootloader and drivers to system drive

STEP 1: Download OS X Yosemite

1. Open Mac App Store

2. Log in with your Apple ID

3. Download OS X Yosemite

The Application Install OS X Yosemite will appear in /Applications.

STEP 2: Prepare Bootable USB Drive

This step extracts the OS X Installer contents, then installs Clover bootloader to the USB stick.

1. Insert the USB drive

2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

3. Highlight the USB drive in left column

4. Click on the Partition tab

5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition

6. Click Options...

7. Choose GUID Partition Table

8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)

9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

10. Click Apply then Partition

11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. Type the following, enter password and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native OS X installer media from the Install OS X Yosemite Application.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction

Upon completion, the USB will be renamed Install OS X Yosemite.

12. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge

13. Open Clover package installer

16. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...

17. Choose the USB, now called Install OS X Yosemite

18. Hit Customize and install Clover to the same USB with the following Custom Install settings:

http://i.imgur.com/HwZ9BFB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZdgLmUj.jpg

19. Download this zip file

20. Copy the EFI folder to your USB

STEP 3: Install OS X Yosemite

1. Turn on the computer

2. Press the hotkey to choose boot device

3. Choose USB

4. When Clover boot screen is visible, choose Boot OS X Install from OS X Install OS X Yosemite

5. The system will then boot into OS X Installer

6. For a new installation of OS X, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing. If you are upgrading from Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks and you want to keep your files and apps, skip steps a-j.

a. Choose Disk Utility

b. Highlight your target hard drive for the Yosemite installation in left column.

c. Click Partition tab

d. Click Current and choose 1 Partition

e. Click Options...

f. Choose GUID Partition Table

g. Under Name: type Macintosh SSD (You can rename it later)

h. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

i. Click Apply then Partition

j. Close Disk Utility

7. When the installer asks you where to install, choose Macintosh SSD, or your existing install.

8. Upon completion, system will restart a 1st time

9. Press the hotkey to choose boot device

10. Choose USB

11. When Clover boot screen is visible, choose Boot OS X Install from OS X Install OS X Yosemite

The system will boot into the new drive, create the recovery partition, and complete the installation. Upon completion, system will restart a 2nd time.

12. Press the hotkey to choose boot device

13. When Clover boot screen is visible, Press F4 (this wil dump your dsdt/ssdt), choose Macintosh SSD

14. The system will launch OS X Setup

STEP 4: Post-Installation

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

2. Type: diskutil list and locate your system drive's EFI partition. It will be under IDENTIFIER. Be sure to use the correct one. (For this example: disk0s1)

3. Type the following, enter password and hit enter:

sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

4. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge

5. Install Clover to Macintosh SSD with the following Custom settings:

http://i.imgur.com/Y6fItDr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5TdixnC.jpg

These settings will install the bootloader to the system drive's EFI partition automatically as part of the scripting. After completion, the system drive's EFI partition will automatically mount.

A few more changes need to be made to the default Clover installation:

6. Download this zip file again

7. Copy the EFI folder of usb to EFI partition.

8. Open /Install OSX Yosemite/EFI/efi/clover/acpi/origin, Copy dsdt.aml to your desktop.

9. Download MaciASL

10. Run MacIASL, go to Preferences and set to ACPI 4.0, then open dsdt.aml on your desktop. Click Patch button, download one of the patches here and apply:

- 1366x768: Download

- 1600x900: Download

Click Compile to check for errors, if no error, you can save the file with File Format: ACPI Machine Language Library, name DSDT.aml to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ (of HDD EFI partition)

11. Open Clover Configurator and import config.plist (in EFI partiton) and edit those values:

·      ACPI > GeneratePStates/CStates: uncheck

·      SMBIS: create your new SMBIOS (Macbook Pro 8,1) with random Serial Number

Then EXPORT config.plist to /EFI/Clover/ of EFI partition

12. Open KextWizard and install dummyHDA.kext to S/L/E

13. Reboot your Laptop

Whats working:

- Wifi (replaced with Broadcom BCM4322 , recognized as native Airport Extreme oob)

Keyboard

USB

Bluetooth

App Store and iMessage

Screen Brightness

- Battery Percentage

Display and Screen Resolution

Audio with AppleHDA

HDMI + Audio (Auto Detection works)

QE/CI

Network Switch

- Touchpad with 3 and 4 fingers multitouch gestures

- Webcam

VGA output (No Auto-detection)

Find my Mac and iCloud

Credits:

This guide is based on the guides of pokenguyen, npjohnson and snatch's guide from insanelymac.

VoodooPS2 for ALPS:

RehabMan, BpedMan, sontrg, Yeahoon and npjohnson

Clover Developers:

Slice, with help of Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, pcj, ap8ianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr…

Source code credits:

Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon, rEFIt and Xom.

E6x20 Clover Yosemite.zip

Ok tried and installed the install on a HDD and put it in the laptop and it booted into setup.  I am going to attempt to install onto the ssd and then put it back in.

**UPDATE**

eSATA worked!  The install worked and usb picked up after reboot.

**2nd Update**

USB does not work

Wifi does not work

Sound does not work

Following this guide to make my USB for my E6420. Will report on how it works since I have the NVS 4200M on my model. Been having issues booting up my USB. Will update this post once I try to reboot again

Edit: So far the install seems to be going alright and it boots fine. I'll upload the required stuff for those who run the nvidia model of the e6420 once I get everything working or at least a majority of it. This booted with injected nvidia for running the NVS 4200M

• Like 1

Just followed this guide to a T.. Ran into a small hiccup but was able to overcome with the dual link video....
I still appear to have a few problems maybe someone can help with.

- Cannot get the laptop to boot from itself without the USB drive.
  Get dell bios message that its attempted to boot into EFI ( its on LEGACY in bios )

In the post install directions it states the EFI partition will mount and to copy files but the partition never appears so I run "diskutil list " verify there is an EFI partition then I run the following commands :

[ mkdir /Volumes/efi ]

[ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi ]

Copy the EFI folder from the USB to the partition and finish the directions, Upon reboot it still only boots from USB and there is no sound or OSD.

The remaining issues are :

- NO Sound

- NO OSD 

Everything else appears to be working on my machine ( E6220 )

Any help would be greatly appreciated you guys rock!, I know its early but hopefully soon there will be a bootpack for EDP :)

Just followed this guide to a T.. Ran into a small hiccup but was able to overcome with the dual link video....

I still appear to have a few problems maybe someone can help with.

- Cannot get the laptop to boot from itself without the USB drive.

Get dell bios message that its attempted to boot into EFI ( its on LEGACY in bios )

In the post install directions it states the EFI partition will mount and to copy files but the partition never appears so I run "diskutil list " verify there is an EFI partition then I run the following commands :

[ mkdir /Volumes/efi ]

[ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi ]

Copy the EFI folder from the USB to the partition and finish the directions, Upon reboot it still only boots from USB and there is no sound or OSD.

The remaining issues are :

- NO Sound

- NO OSD 

Everything else appears to be working on my machine ( E6220 )

Any help would be greatly appreciated you guys rock!, I know its early but hopefully soon there will be a bootpack for EDP :)

in the zip there is a kexts and tools folder. open the tools and use kext wizard to install dummyHDA to S/L/E. dummyhda is in kext folder. then reboot and you'll have sound. use youtube to check if its working. i guess apple mustve taken out the ploop sound for volume control.