PowerEdge 1800

TheNuutti8

Yo! Haven't been here for a long time... :)

Let's get to the subject.

I got offered an PowerEdge 1800. Any possiblity on hackintoshing this beast? :)

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1800_specs.pdf

I have a 500Gb HDD in SATA controller. Also the GPU cannot be upgraded, because it has only PCI-e8x physical port.

Nuutti

• Administrators

Sounds like Snow Leopard will be your best possibility on this 10yr old server due to legacy single-core Irwindale CPUs. Vanilla kernels will not be supported, only legacy versions like Nawcom's. You'd need early dual-core Xeon CPUs for Lion and later, but it does not look like they made it on the PowerEdge 1800.

Have a look at my Precision 670 guide, you can use the provided SL pack to build your own. Start without a DSDT of course, don't use the Precision 670's.

The embedded ATI Radeon chip will be extremely low-spec'ed (embedded graphics always are on servers) and is probably not supported at all under Mac OS X... Not the greatest machine for Hackintoshing in that case to be honest, maybe just as a Snow Leopard server.

It seems the server has two PCIe x8 physical slots, one rated at x8, the other at x4. As such, you can't physically plug a x16 graphics card, unless you dremmel out the end of a slot but it looks like there's a heatsink in the path... Your could look for a PCIe x4/x8 graphics card supported by SL, if that exists (it's a big if)! I know the nVidia GeForce G210 and 8400GS existed in PCIe x1 format so you could envisage that as PCIe x1 cards fit and work into in PCIe x4/x8 slots. Radeon have some too, like the HD 4350. Those are all supported in SL.

GeForce_G210.jpg ATI_Radeon_HD_4350.jpg

Otherwise, it's probably not worth the hassle: it's old, big, probably noisy and quite power-hungry though it'll certainly replace the heater in your room (Irwindale are 110W TDP... each)! My Precision 670 does.

Its really physically PCI-Ex8. Also there's one pcie1x. And about the noise thing: I'd bet that its more quiet than my Dell PowerEdge 2950II dual xeon rackmount server, which I run next to my bedroom... Also my room gets very cold at winter, so the heat wont be a problem. I'll have to get it moved to my home first, its currently at my grandparents house (2km from here). I can actually mod a Radeon x1900 mac edition to fit in the x8 slot if needed :) Also the power issue doesn't exist. My parents have paid all my electricy bills (MacPro, RackDell, DC7700 and notebooks) so they wont go nutz about that. I'll create a custom USB installer with your Precision zip as a base.

Nuutti