Installed 10.6.3 on Dell Latitude D830

kraft4christ

After the installation, I upgraded the software to 10.6.8 to get the app store working. It did not work properly with 10.6.6. However when I upgrade to 10.6.8, the OS is very unstable and freezes every time randomly after the OS boots up.

When I start it in safe mode it will remain stable, but I am completely unable to download 10.7 from the app store. I'm trying hard to upgrade this computer to Lion. I'm stuck though. Any thoughts?

Being a newbie to this whole process, I'm not very familiar with what to troubleshoot for various issues.  I did try the repair disk permissions as suggested.  My Dell booted well, but within 2 minutes, it locked up completely.  When it does, I can't move the mouse, or type on the keyboard at all.  It's very odd.  It only does this with 10.6.8.  

Also, I actually did download Lion in safe mode.  Now my question is what is the best way to proceed trying to update my OS.  Should I upgrade/install directly and use xfail?  Or should I try to use unifail or myHack?  What's the best course to take?

• Administrators

At this site, we advocate myHack as the installer tool. You have posted your thread in a myHack section, so...

Follow the process detailed in EDP->Documentation at top of pages. Other methods you mentioned have their own web site with supporting forum.

Hey all, total noob here lol.

I, too, have installed 10.6.3 on my D830 (mine has nVidia graphics) - works great, got everything working except my wifi (I knew that, though - its the Intel wireless).  I've tried to install 10.6.8 multiple times to no avail - any suggestions?  I really have no clue what I'm doing... I got the 10.6.3 installer to work by creating it to a flash drive with MyHack on my Mac Mini, but during install I have to use the generic Extra or it won't work.  I had to manually install a few kexts after install (I remember ethernet and audio for certain).  I just don't know what to do to get the 10.6.8 combo update to work - I've made certain to run MyHack and/or EDP after the upgrade (I tried each seperately, and both together).  Once I install 10.6.8, all it will do is sit on the gray Apple screen on boot - no progress indicator of any sort, nor any hard drive activity light.  Suggestions for a total noob?  Thanks!

I actually chose to stick with Snow Leopard so that I could install 10.6.8 update and not have to worry about future updates breaking the system... ironic, huh?  (That said, would a different version be an easier install?  I'm not married to Snow...)