Installing OS X on an Optiplex 745 SFF

OptiplexTosh79

Hi guys

I'm relatively new to the idea of Hackintosh and I'd like some assistance in installing OS X on my older Dell Optiplex 745. I've always wanted to do this as it's quite fun and once I get an iPhone, I'll be able to use iMessage and use other useful Apple features that aren't available for use on Windows.

So, I don't mind which version of OS X it is, just as long as it's relatively modern. Snow leapord, mountain lion, Mavericks... Any I suppose just as long as it's not too far behind. It'd be a nice challenge for me.

I don't have much patience but as soon as I know which steps I have to take and which particular things I have to do, I'll be alright in installing it.

I've looked at a particular forum's guide with this particular machine however it's very confusing.

The specs are listed below:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.6Ghz with 4MB cache

RAM: 4GB DDR2

HDD: 500GB Toshiba SATA (brand new specifically for Hack)

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB Asus silent model

Form factor: SFF

I am able to use my girlfriend's Macbook Pro to prepare a flash drive for the install.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to your replies.

I managed to get Yosemite to run on my Optiplex 755 by following Eric_Dell's instructions, even though it wasn't as clear as i think it should've been. The only problem i'm having is getting the clover partition part to work properly. I can't boot into the system without having the thumbdrive plugged in.

• Administrators

Basically, you need to install Clover properly on your HDD Yos partition. Tell us how you've tried to install it, list the options you selected, ideally post a screenshot and we'll then see what you can try.

Alternatively, switch to Chameleon, it's far simpler, just less powerful. But now that you've installed OS X  on the Optiplex...

Is there a recommended version of clover you'd suggest because the one I use is the one from Yosemite HD that chris11 made out of that USB creator/installer. I'm going to go back to the Optiplex now and test it because i was following Eric_Dell's suggestion on creating the 1gb partition to install clover on but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

I've tried multiple times all day today and still no go.  I'm not sure if it's because the hard drive has different partitions on it with different Mac OS versions, but every time i instal clover on the partition, chameleon boot loader always seems to be the one to load up and I keep facing the still waiting for root device whenever i boot with chameleon. But when i have the usb installer plugged, i just boot up fine with just -v under boot args.