Latitude E5420 Yosemite

Kransbox

No, not OOB, it needs a patch as detailed in the thread I linked above...

Yay more work to do!  This is a fun learning process.  I assume I patch it after I install Yosemite?  Is AirportAtheros40  the kext that has to be patched?  Now I gotta look up patching instructions :)

NB: Patching means adding the PCI ids of the listed card to the Info.plist file found inside the listed kext.

^ concerning this, is the PCI id on the physical device or do I find that out software wise?   Do I use Kextwizard to patch the kext?

I think I remember it working OOB for the D60 latitude on Snow Leopard (which is why I bought it on Ebay).  I guess OOB status changes with distress.

EDIT:  Does me adding this WIFI card with bluetooth do something to the install method?  Now, since I've created the USB again, it wont get past the screen with the apple logo and bar underneath it.   I've booted with -v and -v -f both with the same result.  Does the presence of this wifi card ruin the .DSDT that was prepared for this machine?   I just find it odd that I can't load anything now.....

EDIT 2:  I took the card out and still have the same issue.  Amazing.  So close, now I'm miles away!

EDIT 3:  I tried to load up the distro that I had installed on the Latitude already and booted with the -v flag (since it also stalled at the apple logo - though 1/2 way through).   In the -v flag, it seems as though it is looping/stuck on trying to find IOBluetoothHoseControllerUSBTransport.  It receives kIOReturnNotResponding error.   It is a constant loop.  Is this a .DSDT issue that needs to be fixed prior to me using this adapter? Forgive my ignorance here.

• Administrators

:-o Most of the answers to your wifi kext patching questions are in front of your eyes... You need to read things with just a bit more attention, it's all there, really. PCI ids = Vendor id + Product id. To look inside a kext, right click on it. You can patch the Info.plist file with a simple tool like TextEditor. To patch a kext found in /S/L/E, make a copy to your desktop, patch the copy and move that patched copy to /S/L/E, replacing the original kext. Then repair permissions and rebuild cache as detailed above.

Why do you use a distro? It's often more trouble than good. Why don't you make your own vanilla and USB installer with a genuine copy of Yosemite?

:-o Most of the answers to your wifi kext patching questions are in front of your eyes... You need to read things with just a bit more attention, it's all there, really.

Why do you use a distro? It's often more trouble than good. Why don't you make your own vanilla and USB installer with a genuine copy of Yosemite?

I apologize if I'm too slow for you.  

Distro probably isn't the word I should be using.  I'm using the vanilla 10.10.1 from Mac, as I am typing from it (wife's Mac mini) right now.  I just refer to distro as an OSX distro from Apple, but I know that term has other nomenclature in this sub culture.    I have made my own installer with genuine Yosemite (several times now - probably 6ish) trying to get this laptop to work.  

Regardless, I thank you for your time up until this point.  I don't want to appear ungrateful.  I'll keep reading.  It's just nicer with dialogue than monologue.  Thanks.

I can take this card out and buy another (they're only like 10 bucks on Ebay) to avoid the kext patching info right now.  I'm just more curious on getting this Latitude up and running with some sort of internet.  Since the ethernet wasn't working, I figured this would be a fix.  I guess it is causing me more trouble than it is worth right now, and still doesn't fix the sound/ethernet issue.

Edit:  I did find this instruction.  It looks like something I can follow

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1916-the-perfect-mini-pcie-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-notebooks/?hl=%2Bpatch+%2Batheros+%2Bar5b195

However, I cannot even boot do the MAC desktop at this point to follow the patching tutorial (find out if the MAC sees the hardware/find the numbers/etc..)- hence my dilemma.

Well I read a little closer and got the laptop up and running and the WIFI/Bluetooth card installed.   I'm typing from the laptop!

Thanks for the help!

I do have one observation, and then another request for help :)

1.  When I installed Yosemite and BEFORE I rebooted (after shifting kexts around from Extra folder) I noticed that in DPCIManager, it recognized my Ethernet port as active in the  status portion of the program.  However, after I rebooted (I guess the kext finalization from the Extra folder) it is no longer recognized as active in the status.  SO, my question is, what do I have to do to get back to that point? I tried the alt .kext offered by Herve, but that didn't help either.   I guess whatever it initially loaded from 10.10.1 by itself worked.  Thoughts?

2.   I still cannot get audio to work at all.  

Strange why the patch is not working for you. I just rebuild my E6220 with the same sound card without an issue.

Let's see if you can get audio with Voodoohda.

Go here, download v 2.8.7. Run voodoohdav287.pkg.

Reboot

That seemed to do the trick!  Thanks!

I haven't tried the HDMI out yet, but that is the last issue I have with this laptop.  I can live with not having ethernet :)

I appreciate your help, seriously!