Budroid

Hi,

I have a Dell E6420 with the following specs:

1600x900 screen

NVidia NVS4200 (with Optimus)

Intel Core i7-2760QM

16GB RAM

SSD

I've gotten 10.10.1 to install if I have Optimus enabled by using the guide at https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-yosemite-install-guide/&do=findComment&comment=45222

But, I cannot get 10.10.1 installer to boot up if I disable Optimus.  When I had Optimus enabled, I used DSDT-off_2ch.aml renamed to DSDT.aml and it worked fine.  I disabled Optimus and tried to use DSDT-NVS.aml with everything the same but still cannot get the installer to fully boot.  I used the -v and -f flags and it just eventually boots to a black screen.  I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks.

So, I had time this evening to try both the DSDT posted above and the -x flag and my laptop still boots to a black screen.  I have tried to boot both in the docking station with the lid open and out of the docking station and still get the black screen.  My BIOS version is at A21.  Do I need to downgrade it maybe?  Or something else I can try?

Thank you both for assisting me.

HDMI worked! I was able to complete the install using it but cannot get the laptop display to work at all. Tried booting safe mode but still didn't work. I have not downgraded the BIOS. Should I try the A19 BIOS or something else?

• Moderators

Strange, that DSDT works for me.

What you could try is boot with the HDMI video. Then in display preference, select 'Detect Displays' by holding down the Windows Key, the option will appear.

You internal LCD should come up then. See if the LCD is set as the default, if not, then set it.

I can't guarantee the LCD will come up on a reboot without the HDMI display.

I'll need to go back and check to see what changed. The original DSDT was working perfectly before for NVS, just have to figure out why it's no longer working without changing anything. I'll keep everyone posted.

By the way, did you make sure that 'Skip Nvidia GFX' is not check in org.chameleon.boot.plist?

I do not have the "Skip Nvidia GFX" in the org.chameleon.boot.plist.  I was able to do the detect displays with the Windows key and get the laptop LCD to work.  I didn't see a way to set it as default but my bottom bar is on the laptop screen.  The, I shutdown and disconnected the HDMI and booted back up to a black screen.  When I connected the HDMI again and logged in, I was again able to activate the laptop display.

Then, I went through the org.chameleon.boot.plist and found an entry called GraphicsEnabler that was set to Yes.  I changed it to No and rebooted without HDMI and the laptop screen worked.  I don't know what that entry is for but at least it is working for now.

Please let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Jake, you the man.  That new file is working with my laptop display just fine now.  Also, I have a docking station with DisplayPort, VGA, and DVI ports.  The VGA port and laptop screen work together for dual monitors but the laptop will not detect the monitor on the DVI port.  I'm going to try to use the DisplayPort with an adapter as I don't have a DisplayPort monitor.  I'll also try the HDMI port on the laptop when I get home.

I'll post my results when I get a chance to test it all.  Is there anything else you'd like me to test?