e6420 Yosemite 4200M - installer blank screen

arghargh

I tried booting the HDD with those flags and got "/System/Library/Kernels/kernel not found".  I then booted from the USB and copied kernel into place, tried again same error. Now for some strange reason I actually manage to get OSX to boot of the USB, finish the installer and setup and I was able to run but it seemed like it was partially running off the USB.

HDD is still responds "/S/L/K/kernel not found".

Tried copying in the NVDA*ext into /S/L/E and now still using the USB I get stuck after accepting my password, just spinning icon...

Tempted to start from scratch as I don't really know all the steps that got me to this point. I am thinking all that I need to do is prepare the USB, add Exx20 as Extras, replace Jake Lo's additional kext and DSDT on USB, GraphicsEnabler=No in org.chameleon.boot.plist, and start over.

did you enter and run this?

cp -a /Volumes/name_of your_USB_Stick/System/Library/Kernels /Volumes/name_of your_OSX_HD/System/Library. This will get rid of Kernel not found error.

You can copy Exx20 folder to root of HD and rename it to Extra but you still need to change GraphicsEnabler from Yes to No. And also add Kernel parameter to chameleon.plist. Otherwise you can enter -v -f everytime you want to boot from HD.

Few more things, I have experienced that

• If I use nullCPUPowermanagement, my e6420 hang when it gone to sleep mode. I.E. black screen, all I can do is press the power button and forcibly shut the machine down.
  • DSDT-NVS.aml does nothing for me, always black screen when booting to OSX.
  • I tried other DSDT - thread https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6935-guide-e6420-os-x-yosemite-10100-finalgm-3pb-4/?hl=e6420. This will give you Nvidia Graphic if Optimus is disabled, but note that with NVidia it is for me very unstable. Tried with Video from Apple and Safari crash with WebKit erroe.
  • DSDT_2ch_off.aml and NViDia Graphics off (Using only HD3000) is stable and long battery life. And the extra good thing is with this DSDT from Jake Lo I can use Clover boot loader. I have 1 TB with 3 partitions, 1 with Windows 8.1, 1 with Yosemite 10.10, thinking to use the empty partition with Linux or other OS.

So my advice turn off NVidia and use HD3000 with DSDT_2ch_off.aml. Install ACPIBattery so you see the status of battery. Patch AppleIntelCPUManagement kext using "Hackingtosh Vietnam Tool" and remove NullCPU from Extra/Extensions.

I think I like VMMan's solution to just use the HD3000.  However, I don't what this means "turn off NVidia".  I can only enable/disable Optimus in BIOS.

What also bothers me if why would I use DSDT_2ch_off.aml when guide states:

E6420/E6520 Optimus Enabled = DSDT-off_2ch.aml  ; Check Optimus in BIOS, higher Res 1600x900 and higher

Why would I check Optimus Enabled when I am not using NVidia?  I don't care but that confuses me.

Ok, so the current plan is to start over and use that DSDT to just run off the HD3000 in 1600x900 mode.  

Make sense?

• Moderators

arghargh,

To use HD3000, you need to have Optimus Enabled. DSDT-off_2ch.aml just means that it's patched to turn off Nvidia. I could name it whatever I like, it just easy for me to differentiate from the others. 2ch just means dualLink since you have resolution higher than 1366x768.

No need to start over, just replace the DSDT and rename it, enable Optimus in BIOS and you're set. The Exx20 (Extra) already have the patched AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions/SLE. 

The guide stated, after installed and logged in:

1) Rename NullCPUPowermanagement.kext to NullCPUPowermanagement.bak ( will need to rename it back before any update to prevent KP)

2) Install all kexts in /Extra/Extensions/SLE to /System/Library/Extensions with kextwizard

3) Reboot

Ok, so somehow I managed to trash something on USB and I could not boot.  I started over with intent of installing with 4200M turned off.  

1. Ran though steps to create a new USB boot drive, put that Exx20 Extra in there naming DSDT-off_2ch.aml to DSDT.aml.

2. Enabled Optimus and reinstalled.

3. Got the "Can't find kernel" when I try load off USB and try to boot HDD.  

4. From troubleshooting did the diskutil cs revert 

5. Loaded from USB and I see 3 Boot sources now,  USB, HDD, and a Recovery(RAID) !!!

6. No matter assumed HDD could be bootable so I chose HDD with -v -f

7. HDD started OSX and I am sitting here too scared to do anything.

I want to be able to boot directly off the HDD.

So I guess I am on to Step 4, Post installation....

1. Install Chameleon loader to Macintosh SSD

(this just means I run through "Install Chameleon BootLoader" right?

2-6. Self-explanatory 

7. Generate a new smbios.plist for your CPU with Chameleon Wizard (app attached)'

(Where is smbios.plist, and where do I save it to?)

8. Tuned up your system

(I can do this later right)

My goal here is to be able to remove the USB and off HDD, right?

Too impatient, I tried doing the steps here and booting HDD without USB and using -v too see if/where it gets stuck and I get:

http://pbrd.co/1CsAabm

Update:  I am able to boot with -v AND -f.  Why does -f make it boot?

• Moderators

1. Install Chameleon loader to Macintosh SSD

(this just means I run through "Install Chameleon BootLoader" right?

2-6. Self-explanatory 

7. Generate a new smbios.plist for your CPU with Chameleon Wizard (app attached)'

(Where is smbios.plist, and where do I save it to?)

8. Tuned up your system

(I can do this later right)

My goal here is to be able to remove the USB and off HDD, right?

Too impatient, I tried doing the steps here and booting HDD without USB and using -v too see if/where it gets stuck and I get:

http://pbrd.co/1CsAabm

Update:  I am able to boot with -v AND -f.  Why does -f make it boot?

1) yes

7) When you launch Chameleon Wizard, it'll automatically open smbios.plst from the default location /Extra. Basically you want to generate a unique serial and not use the one from my bootpack

To boot without the -v and -f flags, add /System/Library/Kernels/kernel to org.chameleon.boot.plist found in /Extra. Chameleon Wizard will launch it automatically.

When you launch CW, click on the org.chameleon.boot.plist tap. On the bottom left, put a check on kernel and enter /System/Library/Kernels/kernel in the space below it. Save and reboot without the flags.