/System/Library/Kernels/kernel missing entirely?

iindigo

So I've been trying to get Yosemite running on my M4400 with Chameleon the old fashioned way by adjusting one of Herve's tutorials to fit my laptop. It all goes well until trying to boot, where Chameleon simply complains about /System/Library/Kernels/(mach_)kernel being missing. That's a simple, common issue that many have encountered due to Yosemite both relocating and renaming the kernel, right?

Oddly enough, in my case it's more than just a misconfiguration of Chameleon — the kernel file really is missing. In fact, the directory /System/Library/Kernels/ is entirely missing, both in my USB thumb and BaseSystem.dmg. It's not hidden either, it's quite simply not there.

What could cause this? Am I missing a step? Did the kernel get moved yet again in 10.10.1?

• Administrators

I guess you may not have read that guide with sufficient attention. I really thought I was clear enough...

Clover is able to extract the kernel automatically, Chameleon is not. That is why I spoke of Chameleon at 1st reboot step, i.e. after OS installation, not at USB installer initial boot step.

This being said, if you're using a Chameleon based Yosemite USB installer, you can always copy the kernel as mach_kernel at the root of the USB key or as kernel in /System/Library/Kernels folder. That will work.

Yosemite_kernel_(10.10_10.10.1).zip