e7240 yosmite help

beastyboy uk

Well i lost sound again last night so I've took OS X off for now n
and gone back to windows .1 pro. But i want to use OS X has it ran perfect apart from the audio going of at random. It would even stay of on a few reboots then come back on. I do have a OS X usb sound card but don't want to carry that round with me lol  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if my E7240 is of any difference from all other users here.

I am not able to boot the USB installer created using Jake's detailed instruction. Hence, I am still unable to install Yosemite.

Mine is a E7240 i7-4600U FHD touch. Don't know if my machine is hardware or version different from those you have,

Are you sure you followed the guide right have you used the right kernel? for your cpu what version of yosemite are you installing? you need the right kernel when making the usb drive for the version of OS X yosemite you are using hope this helps pal.

Mine is a E7240 i7-4600U FHD touch. Don't know if my machine is hardware or version different from those you have,

I have a FHD i5 model and almost everything is working. Make sure you follow the instructions 100%

However, I can report the following bugs:

-USB 3.0 with kexsts from bootpack doesn't work with my USB 3.0 drives at all, even on reboot.

-Replacing GenericUSBXHCI.kext with this one from RehabMan's site results in a KP with USB 3.0 plugged at boot.

-Drives work if booted to desktop.

-I have not yet tried removing HPET.

-I have not tried the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Vietnam Tool.

I also get very sporadic sound.

-I've enabled "Play feedback when volume is changed" for and sometimes this will fail even though sound plays through applications.

-Audio after sleep sometimes fails.

-Switching between headphones and speakers sometimes fails, leaving no sound in either.

-I've also noticed that the FN-UP FN-DOWN brightness controls do not function.

-Lid sleep does not seem to function. This was also the case for my E6230, and I've been using RehabMan's ACPI Poller as a workaround on both.

-Side-swiping between desktops using three-finger gestures does not seem to function, but maybe my fingers are weird.

I do want to say that I am very, very appreciative of your work, Jake.

• Moderators

-Try removing GenericUSBXHCI, usb 3.0 has been patched on DSDT. Sorry, don't have any USB 3 device to test. I might get one tomorrow.

-Patching AppleHDA is really hard especially these new ALC combo headphone/mic ports. Joe82 did an amazing job getting it to work. 

I know even with CodecCommander installed to fix the EAPD issue, audio still won't load after sleep sometimes. To get around this, what I do is launch kextwizard and reload CodecCommander. If this still doesn't work, put it to sleep and wake it might help. You could also try EAPDfix.kext and see if that would make a difference.

-As for brightness control, use Fn+F3 and Fn+Insert.

-I don't have issue with sleep with LID on both models, glad you have a workaround. I'll have to look into that. For the E6230, I have a new DSDT in the guide that fixes the sleep with LID issue. Check there. As for 3 finger swiping, I have never tried that function, so can't confirm if it ever work.

Enjoy.

-Try removing GenericUSBXHCI, usb 3.0 has been patched on DSDT. Sorry, don't have any USB 3 device to test. I might get one tomorrow.

-Patching AppleHDA is really hard especially these new ALC combo headphone/mic ports. Joe82 did an amazing job getting it to work. 

I know even with CodecCommander installed to fix the EAPD issue, audio still won't load after sleep sometimes. To get around this, what I do is launch kextwizard and reload CodecCommander. If this still doesn't work, put it to sleep and wake it might help. You could also try EAPDfix.kext and see if that would make a difference.

-As for brightness control, use Fn+F3 and Fn+Insert.

-I don't have issue with sleep with LID on both models, glad you have a workaround. I'll have to look into that. For the E6230, I have a new DSDT in the guide that fixes the sleep with LID issue. Check there. As for 3 finger swiping, I have never tried that function, so can't confirm if it ever work.

Enjoy.

I've confirmed that the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Vietnam Tool is the same as Rehabman's latest. Still not totally working but removing AppleHPET prevents KP on reboot. Have not yet tried setting BIOS to USB 2.0 only.

I wish I could help when it comes to AppleHDA. It is extremely complicated. Kext Wizard actually won't load the "loaded" tab for me — it the fields don't load. Weird. Is there any other way to reload CodecCommander? Perhaps there's a quick and dirty way to script a media event within the first 30 seconds of wake.

Also you're totally right; lid sleep does work, I just need to give it enough time. Sorry for the false alarm.

• Moderators

Do you have the latest version 3.7.11?

Try from terminal

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/CodecCommander.kext

or unload then reload

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/CodecCommander.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/CodecCommander.kext

Do you have the latest version 3.7.11?

I don't, do you have a link? I'm running version 2.2.1 (included in bootpack, I believe).

Interestingly, unloading and re-loading the kext in terminal doesn't bring sound back.

Again, I really appreciate your help :) If there are any logs or config files I can send you, definitely let me know.