[Solved] Dell UK Keyboard Mapping Issues

arcaman6

Hi Guys

Have just completed installation of Yosemite on E6220 which was very successful apart from keyboard.

My keyboard is UK ISO which mostly works except that 

@ and " are switched

\ (beside Z key) returns §

etc..

which is what I expect as the key mappings are different for UK keyboard.

However I have tried using Ukelele to create a new keyboard to match my E6220 which seems to work in that I can map they keys and save as bundle, then move to Library/Keyboard Layouts. I can open and and select the new keyboard (which I labelled E6220_UK) in preferences and log out/log in, but it seems like the new layout is not being used as the keys like @, " and \ work as before,

Should this work - or is this method in some way incompatible with the  VoodooPS2Keyboard kext which I think is installed on my system?

Hope you can help

arcaman6 

• Administrators

In the Ukulele dmg, there are pre-defined Logitech keyboard layouts. Copy those files for UK layout to /Library/Keyboard Layout and subsequently choose the Logitech layout from the Language & Region preference panel. Go to Keyboard Preferences, then click on + button at bottom left and you'll see the desired layouts listed in Others. Select the layout and click Add.

PrefPane.jpg Kb_pref.jpg Plus.jpg Logitech_layout.jpg

If your Windows key is not Command key, you may want to swap roles with Alt key. Go to the Keyboard prefpane, then to Modifier Keys and swap between Command and Option.

Command-Option.jpg

Guys

Thanks for all the inputs. In the end I was pretty close to getting it sorted. While I was able to add the Dell remapped keyboard to the Library/Keyboard Layouts and add it to the list of keyboards I noticed that the little keyboard map beside the battery icon at the top of the screen was still showing the standard USA keyboard. Clicking that and selecting my Dell keyboard sorted the problem and all of the keys now work properly.

I have attached the bundle in case it's of use to someone else.

Thanks again.

arcaman6