Dell Latitude E6410 Yosemite Error

quintinsharpe

Hey everyone,

I have the same problem! looks the same at my screen:/ Please let me know if you have any solution.

I encountered a problem while running the pre-insallation script. Instead of waiting for me to press a key it just gave me an error, but it seems it copied the files...

im not even getting that far in the bootloader it says cant find mach_kernel  and in terminal when i run the preinstall script it gives a syntax error

InstallerPrep_E6410-Intel.sh: line 26: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'

/Users/Justin/Desktop/E6410 Y/Scripts/InstallerPrep_E6410-Intel.sh: line 27: syntax error: unexpected end of file

How do you point a boot loader at a new kernel location? 

I'm working through the patel4prez tutorial and running into a similar problem: the OS seems installed, but when I boot without the flash drive, it gives me:

"No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine."

If I boot from the USB, then select Macintosh HD as the drive to load, I get the kernel error described above, but mine goes:

Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/Kernel

Can't find mach_kernel

Press a key to continue...

I can choose to boot from the USB E6410Y and it will load OSX right up.

• Moderators

The above usually means it's missing the boot loader. You have to be able to boot to the HDD in order to install the Chameleon boot loader. When you boot with the USB and select Macintosh HD, does the icon show as Lion and you have a Recovery HD?

The above usually means it's missing the boot loader. You have to be able to boot to the HDD in order to install the Chameleon boot loader. When you boot with the USB and select Macintosh HD, does the icon show as Lion and you have a Recovery HD?

Im not even getting to the installer i get a cannot find mach_kernel and the script for intel graphics messes up it gives syntax 26 & 27 error so im guessing the script isnt copying the kernel properly because there wasnt even a kernel folder on my drive and i have all files unhidden.

• Administrators

if you can get a copy of the kernel for the version of OS X your installing you can try renaming it mach_kernel and dropping it into the root of the drive and or usb installer. or in the location i posted above.in yosemite it is just called kernel. it might also be you need a newer version of your boot loader with yosemite support.

• Administrators

Older Chameleon version always seek kernel file as mach_kernel at partition root level. However, one can always manually specify a different kernel file by entering the command at bootloader prompt. For instance and in the case of Yosemite: /System/Library/Kernels/kernel

The syntax casing is of outmost importance and the command must reflect the directory tree and filename to the letter. Newer Chameleon versions (like v2.3 r2377/r2401/...) were updated to take into account the new location of the Yosemite kernel file (in /System/Library/Kernels as opposed to root).

If you can only boot into Yosemite -or any other OS X version for that matter- through the USB installer, it usually means the bootloader was not installed on the HDD. Best way to do it is to run the installation package once the system has booted up. In the case of Chameleon, simply run one of the recent packages available at the Downloads->Bootloaders section of InsanelyMac web site. They have a whole raft of versions on their repo.

Dear Hervé et al,

I've gone through the whole setup a second time with the same results. I then downloaded Chameleon 2.3, loaded it to my install drive, and still face the same issues.

Without the USB disk in, I get:

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine.

If I press F12 and select internal HDD, I get:

Selected boot device failed.

Press any key to reboot.

I can boot from the USB drive and it will show the E6410Y disk...but will not boot from the Macintosh HD when I select it, but get the old:

Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/Kernel

Can't find mach_kernel

Press a key to continue..

I don't see any way to do a manual bootloader entry or prompt. 

I opened up org.chameleon.Boot.plist and it says that the string for the Kernel Flags is /System/Library/Kernels/kernel kext-dev-mode=1...

...but I don't see an entry for Kernel itself...and don't seem to be able to modify the file manually with textedit. 

I opened up com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and it says:

<key>Kernel Flags>/key>
<string></string>

I feel so close...like I'm on the verge of doing it right...but am stumped by my ignorance. Can anyone point me towards a detailed guide on how to do these manual bootloader directions?

Thanks in advance!

Micah