Dell Latitude E5520 - installing Mavericks - graphics problems

j00z3k

First, Hello to everyone on this forums, it's great site!

I have a Dell Latitude E5520 with following config:

- Intel Core i5-2520M, 2,5 GHz CPU (replaced from E5420, originally was i3);

- Intel Cougar Point HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge chipset;

- 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM;

- Intel HD 3000 1366x768 graphics.

I'm trying to install OS X Mavericks from .app file. I've downloaded 10.9 Bootpack from OSXLatitude's EDP and tried to create bootable USB with MyHack, following manual here. Don't know if that does matter, but when I'm creating installer, when I reach step 10, MyHack doesn't ask me about Extra folder - I have to do this myself after "All processes completed".  So, after that, with Extra from 10.9 Bootpack, my installer stops on striped screen, like in this thread. No matter, if I try with -GraphicsEnabler, -PciRoot, Verbose mode, Safe mode. It's always the same. When I tried to run installer with General Extra from MyHack, it reaches installer, but after a while it crashes with Apple Installer Crash Log.

I've tried to install with Extra from here, here and here, always with no luck.

Maybe the CPU and graphics inside it are wrong, cause of replacement? Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!

• Administrators

See if there wouldn't be many common features with E6320 as described here. From a CPU and GPU point of view, you'd be in same situation... There's a good chance the E5520 bootpack contains a DSDT for a different LCD size than 1366x768. You can therefore compare with the graphics section of the E6320 DSDT available in my pack.

Hello again, had a very busy month... I hope you're still there :)

Thanks for your replies, and thanks @Jake Lo for DSDT, I've been able to reach installer finally.

I've managed to install Mavericks 10.9.5, after a few times that installer crashed with the "OS X Installer couldn't install", I've read that I had to format my HDD with GPT, and create Installer without MBR Patch in MyHack.

After install, I tried to fine-tune it with EDP, and, surprisingly, one of two CPU options was my i5-2520M - surprisingly for me, because all other of E5520's that I found was with i3 (I guess it's some budget version, with lack of HD res and camera). Unfortunately, the DSDT with EDPv6 broke my res again - it's meant for HD. So, next time (after new install), when I was running EDP, I've chosen to disable EDP's DSDT, and enable my own - the one from @Jake Lo, that I used with installer.

After that, OS X booted, and many things were better, than before, but not perfect. In the meantime, I changed WLAN card to DW1510, which worked flawlessy out-of-box.

So now, I have working:

- sound (but the dedicated sound buttons doesn't work - they show OSD, but sound level is the same nevertheless how many "squares" are on it, even after mute);

- battery;

- Bluetooth and WiFi (they work OOB);

- Ethernet;

- touchpad (not quite sure if multitouch works, because when I "full-screened" for example Safari, it doesn't switched with three-fingers swipe - but maybe I'm doing something wrong);

- trackpad;

- SD card reader;

- Dell fn buttons (but I'm not sure if they work how they should, i.e. brighness changes, but the OSD doesn't show, and it looks like it changes apart from OS', because OS changes it more "gently");

- graphics - but not in the way that I think it should work (why - below).

I'm not sure about ExpressCard slot, I don't have any EC card, but I believe it works (because SD reader works).

What's not working, is:

- sleep (altough it does sleep, but doesn't wake - after power up it's just black screen);

- VGA and HDMI ports (even after forcing to detect monitors);

- things, that I mentioned above, which are semi-functional in my opinion, but maybe that's the way they work.

Also, when I was installing EDPv6, error "Can't use system extension" with "AppleACPIEC.kext" showed up. I wonder, if this error, and that I used different DSDT than the EDP's one, may be the cause of my problems? Is there any way to run (by editing something) the DSDT from EDP with my resolution?

• Moderators

What kext are you using for audio? VoodooHDA or patched AppleHDA?

VGA is not supported, HDMI will need a patch FB to work.

Try using this bootpack. Launch MyHack and select install Extra, Use your Own and point to this.

Skip the EDP stuff.

Bootpack included :

patched FB for HDMI,

patched AppleHDA , remove VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler if you have them installed

Extra-E5520.zip

I'm using VoodooHDA.

I've used bootpack that you provided, and wow! Sound level is adjustable, sleep works perfectly, HDMI and - VGA - as well :) Thanks for the bootpack! And, by the way, it even "answered" my next question, about booting screen - from EDP it was like 4:3 OSXLatitude logo on the left of the screen, now it's proper Apple :)

So, I've launched MyHack from already installed OS X, chosen to install Extra and pointed to Extra-E5520 was in the zip that you upladed - not sure if it was your intention, because of below :)

I'm not quite sure about "Skip the EDP stuff" part, because it was already done before, and I didn't install OS from scratch - but I didn't do anything with EDP after installing Extra from your bootpack. Here, I have a question - if I would create installer with this bootpack, will EDP stuff be needed?

And I'm not quite sure if I removed VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler kexts properly - I've just deleted them from \E\E & everywhere, where they were, after that I've run MyFix (full). But even after that, the VoodooHDA PrefPane in System Preferences was shown, I had to hide it by customizing System Preferences. So I'm not sure if it's completely removed.

Looks like there's only one thing left - no OSD when changing brightness with Dell's fn+Up or Down. I know it's more like cosmetics, but would be nice if it's possible to make it work. If no, I will have to deal with it  :)

Still, many thanks for current effort!

• Moderators

Yes, you can just use this bootpack for new boot disk and skip the EDP as it's fully tuned. Bootpack will work up to 10.9.5, let me know if you need one for Yosemite.

Sounds like you have voodoohda stuff removed except the preference pane, you could just right-click and select remove. 

As for brightness control, use Fn+F3(ScrollLock) and Fn+Insert(Pause).

I didn't know that it is SO simple to remove the pane, thanks. Also thanks for the tip about brightness.

After installing your bootpack, I discovered that card reader stopped working - but I followed guide from your sig (SD Card Reader), by adding string with my card reader's IDs: 1217,8321 (there was 1217,8221 in info.plist) - after rebuilding caches and reboot, card reader works again.

But, there is a new problem - I've installed an update from AppStore, not sure what it was - something with iTunes I remember - and after reboot, the network has gone. There were no WiFi nor Ethernet. I couldn't connect throught Bluetooth PAN either. When I tried to enter "Network" in System Preferences, it was greyed out with rainbow wheel on it. I thought that it could broke after the update and because I was installing your bootpack on previously EDP-ed OS. So, I created new boot stick with your bootpack as Extra, and installed fresh OS. It was strange from the beggining, that there was no WiFi available in the installer - it was, when I was installing with previous bootpack (should work OOB). After successful install, there is no network at all - WiFi, Ethernet, FireWire nor Bluetooth PAN. When I launch Network in System Prefs, it says that "There is no services in this location". When I try to add them by clicking "+" in the left pane, it hangs with rainbow wheel again.

The "Energy saving" System Pref doesn't work as well, hangs just after clicking it. Everything else seems to work as it should.

Don't know if it could be the tip, but there's no "15-inch, Late 2011" note inside About Mac - maybe it has something with SMBios' product name?

• Administrators

An alternative to the SD card kext patch is a DSDT patch. Locate the card reader device with IORegistryExplorer and add a _DSM method in the identified DSDT device where you simply add a "compatible" section pointing to the original pic ids found in the SD card reader kext.

Here's an example: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7387-dell-latitude-e6440-with-i5-4300m-hd4600-and-1600x900-lcd-mavericksyosemite/page-3&do=findComment&comment=49190

Yes, you can just use this bootpack for new boot disk and skip the EDP as it's fully tuned. Bootpack will work up to 10.9.5, let me know if you need one for Yosemite.

Sounds like you have voodoohda stuff removed except the preference pane, you could just right-click and select remove. 

As for brightness control, use Fn+F3(ScrollLock) and Fn+Insert(Pause).

I'm interested to Yosemite Bootpack, I have the same laptop but with Intel i3-2310M.

Thanks very much
Marco