ModCD results in a loop

rsmith2904

First let me start out by saying that I know nothing about software.  I'm a killer hardware man, but totally lost with software.

By the way, I'm 76 yrs old, and don't understand some of the technical jargon, so I'm asking for patience.

I hope someone here can give me some help.

Here's my rig:

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo

AMD FX series Vichera 6 core @3.9ghz

WD Red 1TB Sata HD

16gb DDR3 @ 1333ghz

585w power supply

The Problem::

I use the Nawcom ModCd boot loader

I've set the BIOS to ACHI for the HD

CD drive is set to IDE (When set to Sata, the system doesn't recognize the CD/DVD)

When I start up, everything goes well.  I load the ModCD.  Let it boot until I swap the Mod Cd and insert the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail DVD.  I give the system time to recognize the retail disk and then press F5.  It then gives me the option of using the  retail DVD.  I choose the retail disc, it gives me a lot of DOS info and then says "Press any key to continue", and there's where it all goes wrong.  I press any key and it goes into a system re-boot (Remember the retail disc is still in the drive), and goes through the boot up cycle 'til it says boot from CD/DVD and then I get "Boot Failure insert system disc and press enter.  It's just a loop that continues on & on.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have something in the BIOS set wrong?

I've tried the only input I could make and that was mach_kernel and modbin kernel (rd(0,0)/Extra/modbin_kernel).  Is there something else that I'm missing?

The only other options are busratio=xx (xx being value) and I don't know what the value is or how to find it, and force64, if the 6 core CPU isn't booting.

Please advise, and thanks for replying, and trying to help.  If you have any other suggestions, please reply.  I'm willing to try whatever is suggested.

• Administrators

I'll have to check (because I forgot) if ModCD boots Nawcom's legacy kernel by default of the vanilla mach one. I think it's the former rather than the latter. This being said, you may be in a situation similar to that of SandyBridge/IvyBridge CPUs, which are only supported in Snow Leopard 10.6.8, not earlier releases. This AMD FX Vishera CPU model (FX-6350?) may just be unsupported by Nawcom's legacy kernel 10.4.0 (I'm prettty sure it's the default kernel of the final ModCD package). Vishera CPUs are direct competitors of SandyBridge/IvyBridge/Haswell/... after all.

You could instead attempt SL 10.6.8 (with Nawcom's 10.8.0 v2 kernel), Lion, ML or Mavericks, using myHack + the appropriate AMD kernels. They're available off InsanelyMac's site and I've also added them to my Dell Precision 670 research/guide thread. Yosemite could be envisaged too, but no myHack support for that OS X version yet.

But you may not have access to an existing Mac or Hack, hence your initial pursuit of SL using bootable ModCD CD/DVD method.

• Like 1