D630 with Intel Graphics Kernel Panic on install boot?

TechieJustin

Hi folks, I have a Dell D630 with the Intel Graphics adapter.

I followed the instructions for making the USB install key on an 8GB stick.

Including installing the bootloader, and directing it to the 8GB stick.

Unfortunately as soon as it boots - kernel panic.

What am I doing wrong? My copy of OSX is 10.6 and it is legit, since I have a few Macs here at home.

View My Video

• Administrators

1. Make sure that you are using the latest Bios update from Dell.com or even better the patched bios from www.osxlatitude.com

2. In Chameleon, type :

-v .. and press enter.. this will enable you to see why you are getting the KP

.. post a screenshot here...

1. Make sure that you are using the latest Bios update from Dell.com or even better the patched bios from www.osxlatitude.com

2. In Chameleon, type :

-v .. and press enter.. this will enable you to see why you are getting the KP

.. post a screenshot here...

Hi Leon.

Regarding the BIOS update, there doesn't seem to be a custom BIOS listed for the Intel graphics adapter version of the D630. Just the GMA, and nVidia.

I did update the BIOS to the latest Dell, A17.

When I get home I'll try it again and post the screen shot as you suggested. Thanks!

EDIT:

I n00bed myself. The GMA is the Intel Driver... as evidenced by Dell's support download named Intel GM965 Express Chipset Family, and in the details called "Intel Mobile GMA 3100" Duh.

I'll try it when I get home.

GMA = Intel ;)

Yeah... I n00bed myself.

Quick question, how does FreeDos work with unetbootin? Do I need a plugin? Or do I download the Freedos ISO and tell the USB key creation app where the ISO file is?

I'm not home yet, I have some work to finish at the library. I'm moving from the IT sector to Accounting.

Also, the MD5 for my OSX image is

MD5 (Desktop/Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg) = 9f4839098d4c80f84735d57265d23de7

It is just a Snow Leopard DVD.

Freedos works fine, just select to boot without any drivers

I dont have anything to compare md5 against.. sorry..

I updated the bios to OSX - I see the Apple icon during POST. I try to book from my OSX USB drive only to get a KP.

I can't get into Chameleon because nothing has started up. Right after I select the USB drive to boot is when I get the KP.

reset the bios to defaults and make sure ahci is selected for sata and dynamic speed overclock off

It was set to AHCI before I flashed it, but when I get home I will reset and confirm it's still set to AHCI.

Another thing related to unetbootin. The Mac app doesn't work. When I made the FreeDOS boot USB stick, it appears to download and complete correctly, but the D630 won't boot from it.

I used the Windows version, did the exact same thing and it worked fine.

I have Windows 7 installed on the D630 for now, and I imaged it so I can go back if need be. In case something happens to my Macbook I have a spate machine to use. Even if it's Windows!

One quick question. How "reliable" are hackintoshes? I'm actually going to use the machine. Should I disable updates entirely and wait for word on the street before I install any update?

reset the bios to defaults and make sure ahci is selected for sata and dynamic speed overclock off

OK, still nothing.

I set the bios to default, switched the SATA mode back to AHCI - since resetting put it back to ATA.

Then I disabled Intel Speedstep and Dynamic Acceleration.

Am I using the right Install? I have a Snow Leopard (10.6) DVD that I copied to the USB stick via Disk Utility's restore.

Check out the attached pics and let me know if anything stands out.

post-2653-009732900 1318992651_thumb.jpg

post-2653-089855500 1318992659_thumb.jpg

post-2653-001356400 1318992669_thumb.jpg

post-2653-044764400 1318992678_thumb.jpg

post-2653-064097600 1318992687_thumb.jpg

• Like 1