Need help with HD4000 QE/CI on Yosemite 10.10.1 (E6530)

infamousgeek2

Hello everyone.  I've been using Mavericks on my E6530 for a while now and recently decided to try upgrading to Yosemite

After many hours of fine tuning I finally managed to have it to fully boot to desktop.  The only thing left to fix is HD4000 QE/CE as it currently doesn't work (shows as generic with only 4MB of memory).

Getting the HD4000 to work was a pain when I originally installed Mavericks, I just don't remember how exactly I finally got it to work back then.

Important facts about my original Maverick installation:

- it did not use any DSDT or SSDT files.

- It was using Chameleon for a bootloader

- In org.chameleon.Boot.plist, I had GraphicsEnabler set to yes and IntelCapriFB set to 3

About my Yosemite upgrade:

- I used Niresh's Yosemite distro that was burned to a DVD (USB installer kept giving errors)

- I used the Extra folder from bootback found here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7478-dell-latitude-yosemite-install-guide/

- I also installed the kexts from Extra/Extensions/SLE

- I installed the IOGraphicsFamily.kext version suggested in the guide previously mentioned

- I had to remove the IOBluetoothFamily.kext as it was making it crash during boot (don't use Bluetooth anyway)

- Installed Chameleon-2.3svn-r2437

- I had to remove the GraphicsEnabler and IntelCapriFB mentions from org.chameleon.Boot.plist (hence no more QE/CE) or it would freeze halfway during boot

Here is what my org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like now:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1366x768x32</string>
	<key>Instant Menu</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-gux_defer_usb2 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0</string>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
	<key>SystemType</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hopefully there is a way to make HD4000 work in Yosemite without the use of DSDT/SSDT since it was the case with Mavericks.  Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS, my E6530 doesn't have the Optimus option

• Moderators

You can safely use this DSDT, rename it to DSDT.aml

E6430 HD4000 1366x768 = DSDT-E6430.aml 

If you don't want to use DSDT, then you'll need to have GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelCapriFB=3 in org.chameleon.boot.plist to get QE/CI

Try booting with -v -f and post where it hangs with the above added.

Thank you for your quick answers.

did you try it before replacing IOGraphicsFamily.kext? 

Yes, same result.

You can safely use this DSDT, rename it to DSDT.aml

E6430 HD4000 1366x768 = DSDT-E6430.aml 

If you don't want to use DSDT, then you'll need to have GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelCapriFB=3 in org.chameleon.boot.plist to get QE/CI

Try booting with -v -f and post where it hangs with the above added.

Ok, I tried booting with -f -v and to my great surprise QE/CE worked for the first time!  The weirdest thing is that I did try booting with those parameters before without success.  But I tried so many different configs that I probably forgot to try the -f -v recently...

Anyway, after seeing that it worked I tried booting without any parameters and it froze as usual, around 1/3 of the progress bar.  Then I tried just with -f, same result.  So the only way I can get it to boot with full QE/CE support is with -f -v.

Any suggestion to fix this?

• Moderators

rebuild cache

sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E* 

sudo touch /S*/L*/E*

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

boot with just -v to see where it's holding up

rebuild cache

sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*

sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E* 

sudo touch /S*/L*/E*

sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

boot with just -v to see where it's holding up

Ok I will try this.  Is this the exact same as doing a repair permissions & rebuild cache in Kext Wizard? 

Ok, I manually rebuilt the cache and it still does the same thing.  Then I tried with -v argument only and to my surprise it booted fine.  Weird, I always thought the -v argument did not have any other effect than displaying textually what was going on...!

Now, I may have spoken too fast when I said that I got QE/CE working... What I actually got is a proper display property in About This Mac (Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB).  I am not convinced that QE/CE is actually working because I still have the logon screen graphic flicker glitches (witch I thought IOGraphicsFamily.kext was going to fix) and those glitches are also apparent in some apps like Google Chrome.

I also found out I have another problem to fix with the PS2 driver.  I'm using a PS2 mouse and I can't drag anything with it, it's like when I hold the mouse button down it mimics multiple clicks.  I have the same problem with the trackpad buttons.  If I use a USB mouse, it works ok.  I'm currently using VoodooPS2Controller.kext (I had to remove ApplePS2Controller or i would not have either a working mouse or keyboard).  Any suggestion on which proper kext to use?

• Moderators

All working kexts for E6x30 are in post #3 of the link in your 1st post which include voodoops2controller for the Alps touchpad.

Perhaps you might want to rebuild your system clean from the guide instead of using a distro like Niresh.

So I followed your original advice, Jake, and I used the DSDT.aml you mentioned, created both the SSDT.asl and SSDT.dsl using the ssdtPRGen script provided, and removed the  GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelCapriFB=3 in org.chameleon.boot.plist.  I also added this to it: 

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I booted with -f -v argments and the strangest thing happened, just before making it to the logon page the computer went to sleep on its own (and it now does that everytime I boot).  I pressed the power button to wake it and made my way to the desktop.  My graphic adapter still shows as it should in About This Mac, but the flickering is a bit worse than before.  

A new problem arises now, my 4 CPU threads are at 100% in menu meter, and according to Activity Monitor the process responsible would be ReportCrash.

One thing that seem to be improved is that the PS2 mouse is responding almost normally now.