E7250 and El Capitan

m1nkeh

Do you have full QE/CI? Did you set the BIOS DVMT to 96MB?

Are you using any DSDT/SSDT?

These 2 kexts are not needed, AppleIntelE1000e.kext is all you need for Ethernet.

AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

RealtekRTL8111.kext

Ok I will remove those two (it came with it when I used unifail)

I don't know what QE/CI is nor do I know how to change the DVMT in BIOS. I can see that it says 64MB in BIOS, though.

I know that if I boot into Clover, I have to hit F4 to get the DSDT, right? What do I do with that?

If you can link me to some guides or FAQ to those items, I would appreciate it.

• Moderators

Ok I will remove those two (it came with it when I used unifail)

I don't know what QE/CI is nor do I know how to change the DVMT in BIOS. I can see that it says 64MB in BIOS, though.

See here regarding DVMT. Without that mod, you will not get full graphics acceleration (QE/CI)

I know that if I boot into Clover, I have to hit F4 to get the DSDT, right? What do I do with that?

That will extract the RAW file that will need to be fix and patch to allow better performance of the system.

I'll be writing a full guide for this model shortly. For now you could use the files from here.

• Like 1

Jake Lo,

I am also using ApplePS2Controller kext and everything You mentioned (2-finger scroll, double-tap, drag-lock) is working. However, in current state it is impossible to disable tapping entirely - I'm more used to using buttons below the touchpad instead of tapping. It would be nice to have 3- and 4-finger gestures working also... :)

One more thing: did You also had to swap 'command' and 'option' buttons in keyboard preferences? After OSX installation (both in Yosemite and El Capitan) my WIN button worked as 'option' (i.e. country-specific letters) and ALT worked as 'command' (for all keyboard shortcuts, etc). It is an easy swap, not a problem at all, but just wondering whether it is only my notebook...

I'll be writing a full guide for this model shortly. For now you could use the files from here.

will this cover creation of SSDT as i have the touch screen e7250 with the i5 and i've still not got around to this ;)

What version do you have? With version 1.5 attached a few post back, I didn't have to, but with 1.1.5, I did have to.

Is this in relation to the version of ApplePS2Controller ?

• Moderators

will this cover creation of SSDT as i have the touch screen e7250 with the i5 and i've still not got around to this ;)

Is this in relation to the version of ApplePS2Controller ?

Go here for the official beta ssdtPRGen.sh 

Yes, ApplePS2Controller v1.5

random question alert:

can i install OS X on an SD card, and boot from it?

Yes, I have heard of that configuration running successfully, but I have not tested it personally. I guess it depends on the BIOS if it'll allow boot from SD card.

I have these kexts under 10.11

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/AppleHDADisabler.kext/

EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/AppleIntelE1000e.kext/
EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/FakeSMC.kext/
ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/VoodooHDA.kext/

And DSDT.aml installed here:

EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml

I'm getting this error when booting from USB:

http://i.imgur.com/VXIWOrQ.jpg

I assumed that DVMT was set to 96MB (0x3)since Windows show 64MB of Dedicated Video Memory as per FireWolf’s guide. Well, that’s not the case for this system. I found out that it’s set to 0x1 which is 32MB. After setting it to 0x3, system booted successfully with full QE/CI without having to patch the FB binary file to pass the Stolen Memory assertion.

Here’s what you need to change the DVMT value (Done on Windows or WinPE)

1) Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.exe - to backup the BIOS (DellInc.-A05.rom)
2) UEFITool.exe to find the module labeled SetupPrep (not Setup as per FireWolf’s guide) and extract the PE32 image section (setup.bin)
3) Universal IFR Extractor.exe to extract setup.bin to a readable text file
4) Use notepad to search for “DVMT†in the text file, 2 were found at 0x15b and 0x15c
   Both with value of 0x1 and need to be set to 0x3
5) Format a USB drive to fat32 and create a folder name EFI
6) Download the EFI Shell and extract the Boot folder to EFI folder
7) Boot system with the USB and select UEFI Boot
8) At the grub prompt, enter these commands, hit enter after each command, then exit and reboot
   setup_var 0x15b 0x3
   setup_var 0x15c 0x3
To verify, just enter setup_var 0x15b and hit enter, the value will be listed

All the tools are found in FireWolf's guide except Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit. Although you now have full QE/CI fixed, 10.10.3 will still randomly freezes. 
I'm running 10.11 beta now and seems to have resolved the freeze issue. Perhaps 10.10.4 will fix the issue too when it's out or just wait for 10.11 release.

Windows is reporting 128MB for dedicated memory and zero for shared video memory. Do I still need to change the DVMT?

EDIT: The values were actually 0x1 (32MB) so yes I do have to change them.