Lenovo ThinkStation D20 "Still waiting for root device" on SATA but not USB

moving2

Hi All,

New to this forum but not to hackintosh. I recently got 10.9.5 working on my Lenovo ThinkStation D20 4158 2x Xeon X5650, 48GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 670, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, chameleon v2538 bootloader, no custom DSDT. So I bought my Dad an exactly identical configuration (also same BIOS version), with the exception of a GTX 660 graphics card and a Samsung 850 Pro SSD. 

Here's the problem: my Dad's computer is booting an SSD w/ fresh bootloader that I tested on my own computer first to make sure it worked. But, on his computer, I had some trouble getting it booted with some hangs after "PCI Configuration End". I resolved these errors by installing a new AppleACPIPlatform.kext. During the debug process, I was booting the SSD via an external USB to SATA enclosure. After I got everything working, I tried moving the SSD back into the Lenovo so I could use the Intel SATA ports (I also tried my RocketRAID 640L PCI card SATA ports)-- both of these SATA ports worked fine with this SSD on my Lenovo. However, I'm getting "Still waiting for root device..." when I use these SATA ports on my Dad's Lenovo. When I move the SSD back to the USB to SATA enclosure, it boots just fine. I've checked to make sure the SATA ports are working, and they are, as it boots into Windows (via another HD) just fine.

Any ideas/suggestions?

• Administrators

With Mavericks, you should be using the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform kext, not the rolled back versions used for Lion or ML (v1.3.5 or v1.3.6 of SL origin). I've never experienced any issue with the Mavericks version on any systems I've hackintoshed.

Did you check your BIOS settings for HDD mode? Ideally, it should be set to AHCI. I assume the SSD is connected to one of the SATA HDD connectors, not a SAS or SATA optical one.

You could also try a slightly older version of Chameleon. For instance, I recently updated Chameleon to r2468 on my E6440 and whilst it would boot Yosemite Ok, it would not boot Mavericks. Everything was Ok again once I reverted to r2401.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. Do you know offhand what versions of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext come stock w/ 10.9.5? Can't seem to find this info. Also, are download links available for these files? I was under the impression I needed patched versions of these kexts for my ASUS x58 motherboard.

Thanks again, Herve! Yup myhack is what I used. I just tried rolling back to:
1-AppleAHCIPort.kext from 10.8.4
2 -AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext ( from netkas )
...as suggested here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290525-help-need-pci-configuration-begin-on-dp43bf/
... and all appears to be well- SATA working and no hangs. Would like a more elegant solution, but can't seem to find one. Open to suggestions!