kernel panic booting from Yosemite USB Stick

eultom

Hello everyone,

all in all I spent days now working on different projects. One of them being Yosemite in VMware Workstation 11 (successful), the others not so successful but time consuming ;)

Today I bought a used DELL E6410 and followed this guide:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7376-dell-latitude-e6410-yosemite-nvidiaintel/

and everything went fine the way I see things. BUT - when I boot from the created USB Stick I get a kernel panic everytime.

I tried booting with options, but the endresult is always a kernel panic.

Any hints?

Windows 8.1 runs flawlessly on this machine so I don't suspect the hardware. I needed to install Windows first to get the latest BIOS. The BIOS version it came with was A06 (very old). Now it is on A16.

The DELL E6410 is supposed to be a dedicated Hackintosh. Or at least first and foremost.

post-78632-0-95944400-1433190784_thumb.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance if you put some time in this.

Cheers,

Thomas

• Administrators

Did you try to simply reset the BIOS to default settings and then just configure SATA mode to AHCI? I found this necessary a couple of times after getting unexplained KP such as yours...

Hey guys,

no, my machine doesn't have nvidia graphics.

And yes, I reset the BIOS. Set the SATA mode to AHCI and disabled the Intel VT.

I found something else though. Wikipedia says the 560M has a Westmere (Arrandale) bridge. I am really not into CPU architecture, but can that be a problem?

Thanks again for your help,

Thomas

• Moderators

1st Generation Intel HD is not supported, you won't have a good experience with it even if you are able to successfully install Yosemite.

Just remove AppleIntelHDGraphics* from /S*/L*/E* should get you to boot to the installer.

Ok thanks. So should I get rid of it again?

Is there another model from the 64xx series that is compatible out of the box?

I am looking for an inexpensive dedicated hackintosh notebook mostly for running garage band or maybe logic if it runs good.

cheers guys

• Administrators

[...]

Is there another model from the 64xx series that is compatible out of the box?

[...]

Off-topic but to quickly answer your question, E6420/E6430/E6440 all have Sandy/Ivy/Haswell CPUs with fully support integrated GPUs (HD3000, HD4000, HD4600). Have a look at the guides posted here. You may also want to look at other fully supported E6xxx models such as the E6220/E6230 or E6320/E6330 (even the bigger E6520/E6530 if you want).