Who helps the helpers?

wai

Who curates the D830 support in the mainline EDP bootpack universe? It's very frustrating to always find out the "plug and play" support for D830 Nvidia is old, wrong, or otherwise broken and have to hunt down details in the forums. A lot of times, Herve will say things like "I don't use MyHack" so the whole EDP route for D830 seems unfinished and misleading. This is a years old machine and most of the OSX versions are also years old and should be fully debugged on it. Am I missing something? Can we collectively help polish off D830 support for the older OSXs?

Thanks.

• Administrators

I guess you were actually referring to EDP, not myHack (which really is the method I've been advocating for years now), in which case, true, I've stopped using it many moons ago when it started to go wrong for the D Series and, as a matter of fact, I really no longer needed it. This being said, I can fully understand that many people who do not have a large experience in Hackintoshing do seek a one-stop do-it-all easy tool to convert their PC into a fully working Hackintosh. It is what EDP was always about. It may be unfortunate and regretful to many people, but EDP underwent major re-engineering some time ago and it clearly proved a little... overwhelming...

I've recently started posting full packs for the D620/D630 models in response to users' frustration with regards to your exact same observation. I'm about to do the same for the D420/D430. It takes a little time as I've not kept SL installations on most of my D Series laptops and have to proceed with reinstallations to ensure I don't post anything erroneous.

I could probably do the same for the D830 (Intel GMA X3100 & nVidia NVS 135m/140m) -I actually have an old ML or Mav image backed up somewhere- but can't 100% verify the packs as I don't own such models. I can ask my friend her D830 NV but it'll take a few days to subsequently post something on the forum.

Understand that this is a "hobby" for everyone, not a paid job. As such, whilst I can sympathise with the frustration of impatient people after a (sometimes long) while, I also ask that they consider this very fact: it's a hobby; support and tools are provided by people who volontarily spend (a lot of) their spare time on helping Hackintoshers. It's also not a matter of money, so any handful of statements about being ready to pay (what would only be pennies) to get the tools would be futile. This is OSXL, not TMX. I have myself received several very sympathetic messages from people who were surprised I never got a penny for my help but if I then challenged them to do so, they usually became very silent... Strange, eh?

• Like 1

• Administrators

another solution is to keep a backup of your own working system and not have to worry about bootpacks working. but alot of the time people just like things handed to them without having to break a sweat. 

• Like 1

Well folks, I do have both D830 Nvidia's models and they works fine with Mav/Yos (previous OS X not tested but I guess it should be fine ?) with original bootpacks and a (very little) DSDT edits to correctly show both cards & to avoid black screen issue on the 135M version. I also posted a patched DSDT for early support of El Capitan here.

So I would be glad to share these bootpacks with OSXL members, that is the least I can do :D.

And you can use myHack to prepare USB Install disk, it works fine as long as you use Mavericks to do so. You'll need version 3.1.2 for SL which you all know is available here on OSXL :D.

I can also provide fully configured EFI folder for Clover users.

Let me know if you're interested in !

• Like 1