Dell Precision M4600 Clover UEFI/Yosemite

a219810

I'm trying to install OS X Yosemite on my workstation using Clover UEFI as the bootloader. I used this guide to create the USB installer: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305255-making-a-yosemite-usb-installer-w-clover-uefi-and-legacythe-correct-way/

The problem is when I'm setting up the UEFI BIOS to boot from the USB. I cannot navigate through the EFI partition on the USB stick to select the "CLOVERX64.efi" file to add to my boot options. I get these weird font errors when I try: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/luchxh7437m9ylg/AAA1940HujKI8d_NQElzKMjqa?dl=0

I was able to get the UEFI BIOS to navigate the EFI partition on my hard drive to select the "Windows" .EFI file and that boots just fine. Any idea why I can't select the one on the USB installer? 

WORKING! I'm using Chameleon for the time being since it's easier.

Dell Precision M4600

WORKING
Intel Core i7 2820QM @ 2.3Ghz Sandybridge | Native Power Management / Speed stepping
8GB DDR3 RAM | Recognized but shows 0 Hz for RAM Speed - cosmetic?
OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD | Works OOB
320GB TOSHIBA HDD | Works OOB
NVIDIA Quadro 2GB 10000M | Working Full QE/CI but only 1GB showing - cosmetic?
Intel HD 3000 | Disabled by disabling Optimus
Alps Touchpad | Voodoo PS2 Controller Kext from Jake Lo's HP  8560w pack. Multi-touch is a little wonky.
Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet | Apple1000e kext from Jake Lo's HP  8560w pack
Intel Centro Ultimate N6300 AGN Replaced w/Azurewave AW-CE123H - use toleda's guide
2xUSB 2.0 | Works OOB
1xUSB2.0/eSATA | Works OOB (USB), haven't tested eSATA
2xRenesas USB 3.0 | Generic USB Kext from Rehabman's Repo
FW 1394 | Recognized but haven't tested
Battery Indicator | Rehabman's Battery guide + Voodoo Battery kext
Brightness Keys/Volume buttons | Works OOB

NOT WORKING
HDMI | Haven't tested
VGA| Haven't tested
O2 SD Card Reader
Express card Port | Haven't tested
Mini Display Port | Haven't tested
Microphone
Shutdown
Reboot
Sleep/Hibernate
Lid-close sleep

ANNOYING

-"Rebooting" seems to disable the BCM94352 wifi card and the only way to fix it is by doing a full shutdown and power on.

EDIT1 6/6/2015: 

I'm attempting Mavericks for now using the myHack method and the "Extra" folder from page 2 of this thread: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5558-extra-folder-for-m4600-setup-for-os-x-mavericks-setup/page-2&do=findComment&comment=50393

I have the same hardware configuration as thanhphongasd. I have Optimus disabled. Booting with -v -f -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes results in a black screen after "[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed". 

EDIT2 6/6/2015

*Extracted DSDT and SSDT in Ubuntu.

*Attached raw DSDT/SSDTs, decompiled DSDT/SSDTs, and edited DSDT/SSDTs. See edit_log.rtf for info.

*I did not apply any patches.

EDIT3 6/7/2015

*Changed Clover on my Yosemite Insaller from UEFI to Legacy and now it properly loads.

*Encountered black screen after [iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

From reading around the forums this seems to be a video card issue. Disabling nvidia injection (from Clover Option menu) and booting with nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 args works! But the graphical installer is extremely buggy in terms of animations. Will report back once I get this installed.

EDIT4 6/7/2015

No internal hard disks are detected with Disk Utility using Clover... no idea at this point.

So in the Dell BIOS, the SATA option "Raid On" is supposed to support both RAID and AHCI. As it turns out, switching "Raid On" fixes the disk issue and now everything shows up under Disk Utility. I have switched Raid On to AHCI before in the past and that always borked my Windows installation. Oh well. I'll fix it later. >_>

EDIT5 6/7/2015

Fixed the Raid to AHCI switch on Windows. Yosemite installed and boots up with full QE/CI on Quadro 1000M with EnableBacklight=Yes GraphicsEnabler=Yes flags. Only 1GB of VRAM shows up (out of the 2GB) but that may be a cosmetic issue. I'm not too concerned right now because Yosemite is really smooth now. :D

EDIT6 6/8/2015

Ordered new wifi + BT card ->Azurewave CE-123H. It should be coming in today. It's basically a Dell 1550 wifi card which Dell has confirmed to be working on the M4600. Will report back later.

raw_dsdt_ssdt_aml.zip

decompiled_dsdt_ssdt_dsl.zip

edited_dsdt_ssdt.zip

I still get the same error above in the dropbox pictures and I re-did the USB installer guide. For some reason the BIOS utility cannot read the EFI partition on the USB stick or navigate past the "EFI" folder. I checked it in Ubuntu and it is indeed formatted to FAT32.

Yes there is an EFI folder in the root of the USB stick and it is reading that one but it cannot navigate past that directory. I switched to a legacy Clover USB installer and that loaded fine. I had to use "nv_disable=1" in my boot args to get the installer to load but now I have zero graphics lol. I think it's a limitation of the BIOS that it cannot boot EFI partitions from USB sticks.

I got it working with Chameleon. Here's a list of my progress. Once everything is in order I'll look into switching to Clover. Anyone have ideas on how to fix the last few issues? I suspect those require DSDT edits.

Dell Precision M4600

WORKING
Intel Core i7 2820QM @ 2.3Ghz Sandybridge | Native Power Management / Speed stepping
8GB DDR3 RAM | Recognized but shows 0 Hz for RAM Speed - cosmetic?
OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD | Works OOB
320GB TOSHIBA HDD | Works OOB
NVIDIA Quadro 2GB 10000M | Working Full QE/CI but only 1GB showing - cosmetic?
Intel HD 3000 | Disabled by disabling Optimus
Alps Touchpad | Voodoo PS2 Controller Kext from Jake Lo's HP  8560w pack. Multi-touch is a little wonky.
Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet | Apple1000e kext from Jake Lo's HP  8560w pack
Intel Centro Ultimate N6300 AGN Replaced w/Azurewave AW-CE123H - use toleda's guide
2xUSB 2.0 | Works OOB
1xUSB2.0/eSATA | Works OOB (USB), haven't tested eSATA
2xRenesas USB 3.0 | Generic USB Kext from Rehabman's Repo
FW 1394 | Recognized but haven't tested
Battery Indicator | Rehabman's Battery guide + Voodoo Battery kext
Brightness Keys/Volume buttons | Works OOB

NOT WORKING
HDMI | Haven't tested
VGA| Haven't tested
O2 SD Card Reader
Microphone
Shutdown
Reboot
Sleep/Hibernate
Lid-close sleep

ANNOYING

-"Rebooting" seems to disable the BCM94352 wifi card and the only way to fix it is by doing a full shutdown and power on.

• Like 1

I got it working with Chameleon. Here's a list of my progress. Once everything is in order I'll look into switching to Clover. Anyone have ideas on how to fix the last few issues? I suspect those require DSDT edits.

Dell Precision M4600

WORKING
Intel Core i7 2820QM @ 2.3Ghz Sandybridge | Native Power Management / Speed stepping
8GB DDR3 RAM | Recognized but shows 0 Hz for RAM Speed - cosmetic?
OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD | Works OOB
320GB TOSHIBA HDD | Works OOB
NVIDIA Quadro 2GB 10000M | Working Full QE/CI but only 1GB showing - cosmetic?
Intel HD 3000 | Disabled by disabling Optimus
Alps Touchpad | Voodoo PS2 Controller Kext from Jake Lo's HP  8560w pack. Multi-touch is a little wonky.
Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet | Apple1000e kext from Jake Lo's HP  8560w pack
Intel Centro Ultimate N6300 AGN Replaced w/Azurewave AW-CE123H - use toleda's guide
2xUSB 2.0 | Works OOB
1xUSB2.0/eSATA | Works OOB (USB), haven't tested eSATA
2xRenesas USB 3.0 | Generic USB Kext from Rehabman's Repo
FW 1394 | Recognized but haven't tested
Battery Indicator | Rehabman's Battery guide + Voodoo Battery kext
Brightness Keys/Volume buttons | Works OOB

NOT WORKING
HDMI | Haven't tested
VGA| Haven't tested
O2 SD Card Reader
Microphone
Shutdown
Reboot
Sleep/Hibernate
Lid-close sleep

ANNOYING

Hi… There is a long time that I don't Play along with Hackintosh…. I am trying to setup Yosmite on my Precision m4600.  Can you share your Process… thanks…. PS.  I am getting a "panic (cpu2 caller, etc)" loading up the installer… I prepare the usb clover.