e6220 10.9 - can't update using Combo and can't install software using an installer

moonman

I haven't been able to update my 10.9 install via Software update or using a downloaded Combo update.

Have just discovered than I can't install software that uses an installer. Drag and drop applications works and they run fine.

Tried to install MS Office 2011 (known to work, installed before) and iWork 09 (known to work, installed before), but near the end of the installation process, I get a window saying that Installation Failed. No reason given.

Has anyone else had this?

Any ideas? Could it be an SSD issue? I have a Sandisk SSD installed.

Thanks.

• Administrators

You may want to refer to this recent thread for guidance. You can create your Mavericks installer with myHack + 10.9(.0) Installation app/ESD dmg or 10.9.5 Installation app/ESD image, it depends on what you've got at hand. As stated by Jake, you obviously can't use a Combo Update image to create an OS X installer...

If starting from 10.9(.0) you should have no issue at all running the 10.9.5 Combo update thereafter, once you've fully finalised your original 10.9(.0) installation.

Okay, made a new USB installer using 10.9.4 and reinstalled Mavericks. I can now install software without failure.

New problem surfaced: no Sound.

I had it before with 10.9 but lost it with 10.9.4.

Have tried all the different AppleHDA kexts listed for 10.9 versions, installed them in Extra/Extensions and System/Libary/Extensions, but still no Sound. Installed kexts using Kext Wizard and did Quick fix with myHack.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Administrators

And, ideally, don't mix Kext Wizard and myHack. If you install kexts in /S/L/E, simply re-run myFix (quick); at worst, manually repair permissions prior to running myFix with the usual Terminal commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

All patched kexts placed in /S/L/E will be lost after any update, that's the drawback...