E6220 - OS X 10.11 El Capitan (Beta) installation

Hervé

• Administrators

Still (very) early days, but Apple's latest OS X version does install and run Ok on the E6220. There are many issues of course, the most important one being lack of support for the USB2.0 ports.

Installation was done using the following method:

1. installed Clover v3224 on a totally blank/wiped-out USB key
  2. copied E6220 DSDT to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder of USB key
  3. copied bootpack kexts to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder of USB key (only copied kexts like FakeSMC, PS2Controllers, etc., not patched graphics kexts of previous OS X origin like Mav or Yos - kept patched AppleHDA on the other hand) 
  4. cloned existing myHack-based Mavericks partition on a new partition on the disk
  5. double clicked on the Install OS X 10.11 and installed on the cloned partition
  6. after a few mins/seconds, proceeded with system reboot
  7. rebooted via Clover USB key
  8. at Clover menu, set options as follows:
    • in DSDT fix mask, unselected Fix Display + Fix USB + Fix audio
    • in Binary patches, selected AppleIntelCPUPM patch
  9. returned to main menu and selected the newly created OS X installation partition listed ("Boot OS X Install from ...")
  10. 10.11 installer booted and offered the usual installation application. Installed on the cloned partition

Remember, it's (very) early days, so you will find bugs. It's not something to use as a daily OS yet...

E6220_10.11_DP1.jpg

E6220_10.11-DP1_HDMI.jpg

Must now attempt:

• proper Clover-based USB installer
  • bin patch of vanilla AppleIntelCPUPM kext to attempt booting from Chameleon
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I've done a complete fresh installation using a Clover-based 10.11 USB installer this time. Process is same as for Yosemite, using the following well-known/well-documented method:

• Double click on InstallESD.dmg found in Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app/Contents/SharedSupport to mount the dmg image
  • Then mount BaseSystem.dmg (hidden file)
open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  • Use Disk Utility to restore the contents of BaseSystem.dmg on a USB key (or HDD partition) formatted Mac OS extended (journaled).
  • Remove link for Packages in folder System/Installation of your USB key
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation/Packages
  • Copy folder Packages located in InstallESD.dmg to folder System/Installation of your USB key
cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation
  • Copy the 2 hidden files (BaseSystem.dmg & Basesystem.chunklist) of InstallESD.dmg to the root of your USB key
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1
  • Install Clover v3224 to the USB installer. Keep default settings, just change bootloader option to install in MBR
  • Place the attached DSDT + SSDT in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Place the attached kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other
  • Use the attached config.plist file or adjust the options as follows at the Clover Boot Manager main menu once booted off the USB key:
    • in DSDT fix mask, unselect Fix Display + Fix USB + Fix sound
    • in Binaries patching, select AppleIntelCPUPM
  • At the Clover boot Manager main menu, select the 1st listed partition ("Boot Mac OS X from OS X Base System"), press space and select boot without caches. The OS X installer will then load
  • If/when prompted for USB keyboard and/or mouse, just press [ENTER] twice
  • Proceed with OS X 10.11 installation as usual

DSDT.aml.zip i5-2520M_ssdt.aml.zip kexts.zip config.plist.zip

I've not managed to boot the installer of 0S X 10.11 with Chameleon yet, but here are copies of the kernel (to be placed in /S/L/Kernels as per Yosemite) and of the patched AICPUPM kext (to be placed in /S/L/E).

:excl: As always, the i5-2520M SSDT must only be used on E6220 models fitted with that specific CPU. Other CPU models will require their own specific tuned-up SSDT which can easily be created by the usual SSDT Generator tool.

• Administrators

Up to DB4 through AppStore update. This one appears different...

:excl: Caution with this one as add-on kexts no longer load from the usual Clover EFI folder. This is critical for kexts such as FakeSMC and the kexts must be installed in /S/L/E or /L/E, followed by permissions repair + cache rebuild. As a precaution, you may opt to boot without cache on 1st reboot.   :excl:

E6220_10.11-DP4.jpg

DB4 appears more problematic than previous versions:

• I experience occasional minor or major graphics glitches (can be odd artefact or full garbled screen) + random freezes.
  • Chameleon Wizard v4.4.1 keeps crashing at launch.

• Administrators

Moving to Enoch Chameleon branch to get rid of Clover USB key to boot El Capitan. Enoch r2725 and above appear to boot 10.11 properly. Typing this, having booted DP4 from Enoch r2725, then r2737. Means we can go back to good old Chameleon method and re-use /Extra folder (from say Yosemite). :)

Boot option kext-dev-mode=1 no longer required but keep option rootless=0 if you intend to modify systems files such as kexts in /S/L/E for instance.

In a similar way to what was experienced with Clover, kexts no longer load when placed in /E/E. Instead, they must be placed either in /L/E or in /S/L/E, permissions repaired and cache rebuilt. Once that is done, everything is perfect and the little laptop boots fast.

:excl: Warning: patched AICPUPM (or NullCPUPM) mandatory with Enoch/Chameleon since Clover Asus AICPUPM on-the-fly patch is no longer available.

• Administrators

DB5 quickly followed DB4 but might be best avoided at the moment.

It seems to implement new safety measures that prevent "untrusted" kexts (i.e. our add-on non-Apple unsigned kexts) to be included in the cache, unless it's a major bug of course. What I've observed is that whilst the usual chmod -R 755 of kexts works ok, the chown -R 0:0 of kexts does not and return permissions errors. Consequently, cache cannot be properly rebuilt as all our add-on kexts are declared untrusted and omitted from cache:

Rebuild_kextcache_10.11DB5.jpg

As a workaround, the flag -f must be added to the chown command. So use the following commands to rebuild kernelcache:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

-

To summarise, proceed with caution. You may find that have to reboot in safe mode and/or only with Clover to proceed with post-install 1st reboot and be able to finalise the update.

This being said, graphics appear much better/more stable than in DB4 for sure.

E6220_10.11DB5.jpg

• Administrators

Installed DP6 and met trouble at 1st reboot. Enoch would not boot 10.11 any more. Tried r2725 and r2737 without success. I had to revert to a Clover r3224 USB key to boot DB6 without kextcache and finalise its installation.

Then, I could only reboot DB6 (with Enoch and/or Clover) after I actually deleted the kextcache altogether.

Annoying thing, which happens also on the D630: 10.11 prompts me at every single reboot if I want to open Display menu & HWMonitor (both on autostart mode). Sigh...

E6220_10.11DB6.jpg

NB: DP6 not in my list of installed updates so I can only guess that, somehow, it did not go 100% well...

• Administrators

Patched the SNB framebuffer kext for VGA & HDMI. It's the same usual patch as described in Enabling VGA & HDMI on HD3000 thread.

E6220_10.11DB6_VGA_out.jpg

E6220_10.11DB6_HDMI_out.jpg E6220_10.11DB6_HDMI_audio.jpg

Edit - 19/08/2015:

revisited the old SNB patch to add DVI output when docking the laptop to docking stations such as E-Port/E-Port plus. This now extends video output to DVI in addition to VGA and HDMI.

For reference, patched code is as follows:

01 02 04 00 10 07 00 00 10 07 00 00   // Nb of connectors -> "04"
05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00   // Built-in LCD display
02 05 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00   // HDMI output port
06 02 00 00 00 04 00 00 09 00 00 00   // VGA output port
04 06 00 00 00 04 00 00 09 00 00 00   // DVI output port

located at offset 2B650.

10.11DB6_new-patch_AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.zip