Yosemite 10.10 with Clover on E6500

howoarang

• Administrators

Easiest way is to use HWmonitor app that comes with Kozlek's FakeSMC package. The app will display real-time CPU throttling. But maybe you use that already.

If you want to experiment with AGPM (GPU throttling), see here.

HWMonitor shows that frequency is between x6-x11, with speed varies from 800Mhz to 2.8Ghz. Even at 800Mhz, it's running very hot.

GPU temperature seems normal, never in the red but still hot. I'm not sure why it's this hot when the laptop have always been 45+ degrees in idle on Windows/Linux and 60-70 under heavy load. I'll try the article you mentioned. I wanted to do the CPU tuning that you wrote before too, but I figured I don't need to since OP had kindly did it for our CPU, which is the same.

EDIT: It seems that according to HWMonitor, my CPU only uses the minimum and the maximum frequency, no other clock speeds were used. Perhaps this is why my CPU have been so hot when the CPU is constantly at maximum frequency even when not under heavy load. Does this mean that my SpeedStep is not working? I've enabled it in the BIOS too. Any ideas how to fix this?

EDIT 2: Upon further inspection, it seems that my GPU speed is at a constant, both core and memory. I will try the AGPM edit and see how it goes.

EDIT 3: I have successfully gained GPU throttling through AGPM. HWMonitor is showing that the GPU die temperature is decreasing over time. However, I'm still not satisfied with the CPU temperature and I'm seeking to solve this problem by trying to fine tune it myself. Or perhaps let the system cool itself down first and see how it goes.

EDIT 4: GPU is fully managed and throttled, CPU SpeedStep is completely functioning. And so I have came up with another theory, perhaps it was the fan all along. It doesn't sound like it was spinning fast enough, as even at the minimum clock, the temperature is at 67+ degrees. Is there any way to make the fan go faster according to the thermal?

• Administrators

You may want to open up the laptop to clear any eventual dust clog from the fan radiator and renew thermal paste of the CPU. This may improve T° readings a little or a lot.

Well, after fixing the AGPM, fine tuning the FakeSMC, passing the fn=4 boot flag, cleaning the guts and reseating the heatsink, the sensor still shows the same number. I want to try reapplying the thermal paste, but since I don't have any, I guess I'm done for now. What's surprising is that it doesn't even feel that hot actually.

So I came to a conclusion that the thermal sensor might be broken, since the heat felt pretty much like how I always felt it before. And if it actually overheats, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to use the laptop for hours and hours, operating normally. I'll try reapplying the thermal paste when I can later, and if it's the same, it have to be the sensors.

Thank you for all the help, Herve. I truly appreciate it.

• Administrators

Check the T-junction T° of your CPU on Intel ARK site and adjust the Tjmax parameter inside Info.plist of CPUSensors kext (it's a plugin of FakeSMC) accordingly if necessary. It's kind of rare to require this adjustment these days but if Tjmax does not detect real T-Junction T° properly, it can give false readings...

Thank howoarang!

I use Apple Wifi card (big size) from old plastics model instead of the WWAN card, because of the tiny size of intel5300.

It works as en0 in 10.10.5

and I used his dsdt.aml, and get my own config.plist from his one.

My HW info: Dell E6500, CPU=P9500, NVS160, Apple Wifi (original big size) in WWAN space, IntelE1000e.kext works as en1, Yosemite 10.10.5.

Kb/Mouse use VoodooPS2*.kext

DellBluetoothHCI

I wonder the 10.10.5 is much unstable I met so many crasy while normal using esp while use safari.

Old 10.9.5 is very stable than 10.10.5.

Did someone meet the same trouble?

• Administrators

Ideally, LAN interface should be en0 and wifi en1. This to prevent issues with AppStore, FaceTime, etc. You can easily fix that by deleting the interfaces from Network PrePane and all the plist from /Library/System/Preferences, reboot and let the system auto-discover/install the network elements.

HWMonitor shows that frequency is between x6-x11, with speed varies from 800Mhz to 2.8Ghz. Even at 800Mhz, it's running very hot.

GPU temperature seems normal, never in the red but still hot. I'm not sure why it's this hot when the laptop have always been 45+ degrees in idle on Windows/Linux and 60-70 under heavy load. I'll try the article you mentioned. I wanted to do the CPU tuning that you wrote before too, but I figured I don't need to since OP had kindly did it for our CPU, which is the same.

EDIT: It seems that according to HWMonitor, my CPU only uses the minimum and the maximum frequency, no other clock speeds were used. Perhaps this is why my CPU have been so hot when the CPU is constantly at maximum frequency even when not under heavy load. Does this mean that my SpeedStep is not working? I've enabled it in the BIOS too. Any ideas how to fix this?

EDIT 2: Upon further inspection, it seems that my GPU speed is at a constant, both core and memory. I will try the AGPM edit and see how it goes.

EDIT 3: I have successfully gained GPU throttling through AGPM. HWMonitor is showing that the GPU die temperature is decreasing over time. However, I'm still not satisfied with the CPU temperature and I'm seeking to solve this problem by trying to fine tune it myself. Or perhaps let the system cool itself down first and see how it goes.

EDIT 4: GPU is fully managed and throttled, CPU SpeedStep is completely functioning. And so I have came up with another theory, perhaps it was the fan all along. It doesn't sound like it was spinning fast enough, as even at the minimum clock, the temperature is at 67+ degrees. Is there any way to make the fan go faster according to the thermal?

Can you please explain how in "Edit 4" you concluded GPU and CPU are working properly? I seem to be having same issue with heat.