Increase HD 4400 VRAM

aviepic

Dell Latitude e7240 
i5-4310u
HD 4400
8GB ram
32gb SSD(Mac)
256gb SSD(Windows)

I already have FakePCIID and all installed but my computer does not load GUI after spoofing the GPU. I think it might be because of the low vram because loads the OS it just fails to load the GUI. For example I can hear beeping sounds when I press f8.

Thanks

• Moderators

Hey sorry for creating a new post but is there any way to increase the HD 4400 VRAM? In OS X, the VRAM is only 4MB which is why I think I can't boot with GUI. 

Thanks for your help!

That's a graphics issue, you don't have QE/CI. I remember you mentioned removing AppleIntelframebufferAzul in order to boot. Without that kext, there's no chance of getting your graphics to load. The FB can be patched to increase VRAM, but not until you able to boot with that kext. 

You need to figure out why it KP with it install, perhaps create a new installer with 10.10.4?

In the BIOS, it should show you have 64MB of dedicated video memory.

I already created a new 10.10.4 installer ang again I do not have a kernel panic with The FB kext, OS X boots without GUI. I think it is because of the low VRAM, so i am trying to find a way to increase my vram. In the About this Mac, it says I have 4mb vram without any kexts loaded.

• Administrators

You misunderstand. You don't have graphics acceleration working because, in order to get your HD4400 GPU supported, you need to fake Desktop HD4600 or patch the Azul FB + HD5000 kexts and your DSDT too; HD4400 is not natively supported.

Until you do this, you will not get graphics acceleration hence 4Mb VRAM displayed. Once you'll have sorted out your graphics, you'll see that VRAM will automatically adjust because the OS driver will load and allocate VRAM. Only then, may you try to even increase it more by adjusting/experimenting with FB values but you would normally find it's not necessary.

Read RampageDev's blog for HD4400 and adapt for your mobile HD4400. Guides have been posted here about this too.

To summarize, if you get graphics acceleration working, you'll see your VRAM allocated (and increase from 4MB), it's not the other way round...

• Moderators

Since you're able to boot without KP with the vanilla FB, you are half way there. Install this to /S/L/E and replace DSDT with attached. You'll still have some glitches on the menu bar. Install these to /S/L/E with kextwizard but select backup kext just incase. VRAM should be increase to 1536MB.

Post your progress after trying the above.

DSDT.aml.zip

• Moderators

Strange, you and ckleea are the only 2 I know with same model and hardware but unable to gain full QE/CI no matter what we'd try, but no issue reported by any other members here with the same models.

I believe the post you mention is regarding Broadwell system needing a minimum of 64MB of dedicated video ram or 96MB DVMT pre-allocated in BIOS to enable full QE/CI for HD 5500/5300/6000...I don't think that applies here for this model, but you could certainly try. Your BIOS should be showing 64MB or in Windows, under advanced display settings.

You might want to try different ig-platform-id. Booting with

DSDT=0 -v -f IntelAzulFB=

value = 0 -> 16

I just had a thought. What version of Chameleon are you using? I remember the newer version has HD 4400/4600 with fakeID of 0412 integrated which caused some issue for me. I'll verify what version I was using when I get to the office tomorrow.

Maybe you should move on to Clover...